Fostering the Resiliency and Mental Health of Children and Adolescents
Instructor: Michelle Kalina
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Correspondence
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
Partner Course Fee: $350
Partner Class Offered Through Northstar Continuing Education
Participants will learn how to recognize students at risk for mood disorders, anxiety disorders, oppositional defiant and conduct disorders, and how to help students experiencing physical and sexual abuse, neglect, bullying and suicidal thoughts. Teachers and counselors will be taught the skills needed to provide appropriate referrals to mental health professionals and how to help these children succeed in the classroom. Educators will learn the signs and symptoms of suicide and substance abuse, counseling strategies, life skills training exercises, and social skills training. Participants will learn how to teach students to resist peer pressure, manage their anger, handle stress, learn organizational and direct thinking skills to prevent academic failure and teach self advocacy skills to help their students lead healthy, happy lives.
As a result of participation in this course, students should:
1. Learn how to support and create effective interventions in the classroom for students with:
* Bullying Behavior and School Violence
* Childhood Sexual Behavior Disorder
* Child Abuse and Neglect
* Self-Injury and Suicide
* Mood Disorders
2. Learn how to build resiliency in at-risk students by teaching specific emotional and social skills needed to achieve positive mental health.
3. Implement specific skills to prevent the following:
* Alcohol and Drug Abuse
* Unintended Pregnancy and High-Risk Sexual Activity
* Suicide and Self-Injury
* Delinquency and Bullying Behavior
* Underachievement and Dropping Out of School
* Victimization and Abuse
4. Learn how the educator can play a role in referring, identifying and linking staff and parents to mental health resources.
The required text is:
Thompson, R.A. (2006). Nurturing future generations: Promoting resilience in children and adolescents through social, emotional and cognitive skills. (2nd. ed.). New York: Routledge.
Textbook(s) not included in the cost of the course.