Improving Special Education Services for the Multicultural Student
Instructor: Michelle Kalina
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Correspondence
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
Partner Course Fee: $350
Partner Class Offered Through Northstar Continuing Education
This course will explore the reasons why there are a disproportionate number of minority students identified for special education services. Teachers will learn how to identify between learning differences and learning disabilities, as well as how to create appropriate interventions that will increase academic achievement of minority students in the regular education classroom. Teachers will also learn how to successfully address the needs of multicultural students once they are appropriately identified for special education services. The focus will be on multicultural students with communication disorders, cognitive, learning, physical, and behavioral disabilities, traumatic brain injury, vision and hearing loss. Teachers will implement learning strategies to improve motivation among students, create a positive classroom environment and strengthen the home-school relationship.
As a result of this participation in this course, students should:
1. Understand why minority students are overrepresented in the areas of learning disabilities, behavior disorders and cognitive disabilities.
2. Implement strategies and interventions to help minority students achieve academic success in the regular education classroom.
3. Implement a constructive discipline program to build social skills and encourage friendships among students.
4. Create and implement culturally responsive practices for the following student populations so that they are able to participate within the least restrictive environment:
* Communication Disorders
* Cognitive Disabilities
* Learning Disabilities
* Behavioral Problems
* Traumatic Brain Injury
* Physical, Hearing and Vision Impairments
Obiakor, F. (2007). Multicultural special education: Culturally responsive teaching. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc.
Textbook(s) not included in the cost of the course.