Becoming a Teacher Leader
Instructor: Joan Sousae, MAED
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $150 + Partner Course Fee: $199
Partner Class Offered Through NaMaYaPD
This course is designed for teachers who demonstrate the characteristics of teacher leaders described in Teacher Leadership that Strengthens Professional Practice (2006), by Charlotte Danielson, and published by ASCD in 2006. Teachers will be challenged to evaluate and analyze school-wide policies and programs, teaching and learning, and communications and community relations in their school with the purpose of identifying and assisting in the improvement of one or more areas of need. Educators in this course will become better teachers, further developing their leadership skills and will be able to assist other teachers to evaluate, reflect, and improve their teaching.
At the end of this course, the student will be able to:
• Understand the framework for teacher leadership and how it is manifested in their settings.
• Acquire the knowledge necessary to provide leadership in school-wide policies and programs, teaching and learning, and communications and community relations.
• Plan a project in which they assume a leadership role in their own schools.
• Assist as an integral member, without necessarily taking a leadership role in the school improvement project.
• Utilize the working knowledge of the history of teacher leadership to enhance their professional qualities.
• Realize that teacher leadership is an extension above and beyond their contracted requirements and hours; their influence will extend beyond the walls of their own classroom.
• Find fulfillment in a leadership position that does not necessarily lead toward administration; rather represents its own way of working in schools and making a contribution to student learning.
Danielson, C. (2006). Teacher leadership that strengthens professional practice. ASCD.
- This course is no longer available.