Building Strong School Community Through Teacher Leadership
Instructor: Joan Sousae, MAED
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $150 + Partner Course Fee: $199
Partner Class Offered Through NaMaYaPD
This course is designed to help teacher leaders contribute in greater measure to building strong school communities by promoting habits of the heart as defined by Clifton Taulbert in his text Eight Habits of the Heart for Educators: Building Strong School Communities Through Timeless Values. These include hope, courage, high expectations, responsibility, dependability, and friendship within schools and the greater educational community. The focus of this course is primarily on setting goals, developing action plans, and implementing changes that address student needs and interests.
The successful student will:
• Reflect on the changing interests and needs of students in their school.
• Identify strategies to meet those needs.
• Develop skills to facilitate school change.
• Examine their own values, beliefs, and abilities to raise student achievement in both the social and academic
• Create an action plan to improve the building of strong community in their school.
• Make commitments to work on implementing, monitoring, and assessing the plan.
Eight Habits of the Heart for Educators: Building Strong School Communities Through Timeless Values by Clifton Taulbert
The total cost of the course does not include textbook.
Pre-registration with NaMaYa PD is required.
Please register at http://school.namaya.com/pd/index.php/courses/preview/90-ndsu-building-strong-school-community-through-teacher-leadership before registering for NDSU credit.
NOTE: Upon registration, you have 4 months for course completion.