Instructor: Christen Dodd
Monday, January 13, 2014 - Friday, March 28, 2014
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $175 + Partner Course Fee: $475
The use of coaches to assist educators in becoming more accomplished and subsequently improving student achievement occurs frequently in face-to-face settings. To meet the needs of today’s connected educators, coaching should also move into online spaces. During this nine-week course, educators will be prepared to coach in online spaces, to leverage the affordances of technology for coaching. This course includes ninety-minute weekly webinars and asynchronous learning via a virtual learning community. This course addresses the following standards: ISTE NETS for Coaches 1a, 2a-g, 3a-d, 5a-c, 6a-c and ISTE NETS-T Standards 1a-c, 2a-b, 3a-d, 5a-b.
● coach others implementing an appreciative strength based approach;
● apply effective strategies for building trust in online spaces;
● utilize affirmations and powerful questions to assist others in realizing previously unrecognized potential of those they coach;
● engage in active listening and paraphrasing in online spaces;
● demonstrate and model inquiry learning;
● leverage the uniqueness of online environments to facilitate the coaching process through avenues other than text (video, images, audio);
● demonstrate and model expertise, skills, and dispositions around empirically based instructional models including but not limited to TPACK, PBL, action research, adult learning and leadership in particular;
● select protocols and activities to best suit their needs and given situations using new forms of collaboration (Voicethread, Mindmeister, Primary pad, Today’s Meet);
● facilitate the process of a team of and/or individual educators as they engage in action research or design of a PBL unit.
Pre-registration with Powerful Learning Practice is required -- http://shop.plpnetwork.com/connected-coaching/