ND CSH Healthy Habits, Grades 6-8
Instructor: Judy Thomson
Monday, June 25, 2012 - Wednesday, August 01, 2012
Monday, (8:00 - 4:00) + independent hrs.
Instruction Mode: Combination
Location: State Capitol Bldg., Brynhild Haugland Rm., Bismarck, ND
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $50
The CATCH (Coordinated Approach to Child Health) program Middle School will be the one of the resources used for the course. The first 24 registrants for the session will receive a free CATCH Kids Club Middle School manual focusing on Nutrition Education, Physical Activity and Screen-Time Reduction. Participants will also receive a Middle School Activity Box which is filled with more than 450 short lessons 5” by 8” cards on healthy eating along with a physical education component.
All participants taking the course will receive a complimentary copy of the book SMART MOVES by Carla Hannaford, PhD, to be used in completing the graduate credit assignment. Part of the day’s agenda will focus on implementing information from the SMART MOVES book into classroom lesson plans. Brain Gym ideas, a system of physical movements and exercises enhances brain functions, are based on scientifically established neurophysiologic functions and how it can be used by both children and adults to both overcome learning difficulties and improve general brain functions related to learning, coordination, communication and physical performance.
- Provide health education, physical education, core subject education lessons aimed to equip participants with the knowledge, skills, self-efficacy, and intentions to integrate health curriculum lesson, physical activity throughout the school day, as well as integrate health curriculum benchmarks and physical activity opportunities in core subject areas.
- Participants will be able to understand the health lessons, which include energy balance; the importance of physical activity; nutritious snack foods, and reduction of screen-time.
- Participants will be able to identify, practice, and adopt the healthy behaviors presented in the lessons and produce those in the lessons they plan for their students.
- Participants will be able to integrate curriculum objectives in language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies, Nutrition, Physical Education and Character Education.
- Participants will be able to produce a creative method for addressing multiple learning styles and will be able to introduce a variety of academic concepts and skills into their teaching discipline area.