Reading & Writing in Content Area
Instructor: Dr. Pamela Bernards
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $100 + Partner Course Fee: $125
Partner Class Offered Through Virtual Education Software, inc.
The course Reading & Writing in Content Area has been divided into four chapters. This course will provide information on such issues as recognizing reading difficulties, assessing textbooks, and the integration of reading strategies within a content area. The strategies taught are aligned with the Praxis Reading Across the Curriculum test guide and the Reading in the Content Area national standards.
The first chapter is an overview of theories of teaching adolescents and language acquisition. The second, third, and fourth chapters discuss current theory regarding the teaching of reading, including phonics, fluency, and motivation. In addition to the theory, these chapters challenge the learner to use specific teaching reading strategies. Strategies are given with step-by-step directions for a teacher to integrate into curriculum the next day.
These four chapters should give you an understanding of the various strategies with step-by-step teaching techniques to successfully integrate reading into your daily content teaching.
Students will demonstrate proficiency in the following performance standards:
- Identifying various reading skills.
- Identifying and discussing factors that contribute to reading failure.
- Describing and implementing approaches to improve comprehension skills.
- Identifying methods for vocabulary development.
- Developing reasonable instructional goals for the content reader.
- Stressing the acquisition of reading and writing skills across the curriculum.
- Summarizing research for the teaching of reading and writing at the secondary level.
- Providing methods for the teaching of skills using technology resources.
- Using specific methods for dealing with reading and writing problems.
Title: Reading & Writing in Content Area; Instructor: Dr. Pamela Bernards, Ed.D., Publisher: Virtual Education Software, inc.
Effective September 1, 2014, cost for this course will be $235