Assessment and the Common Core State Standards
Instructor: Sophia Thwaites
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
Course Fee: $329
Class Offered Through Knowledge Delivery Systems
Using a Common Core State standards-based assessment and grading approach, Dr. Kay Burke teaches a comprehensive course on the critical role that assessments play in today's classrooms, both formative and summatlve. Dr. Burke promotes the use of performance-based tasks that make real-life connections, and explains how to use rubrics to assess the critical skills and understanding that the tasks target. In the course, you'll see Dr. Burke working with teams of teachers to plan instruction, and create common assessments, and implement them in real classroom settings.
After completing this course, educators will know:
- How to distinguish between formative assessment, summative assessment, and evaluation.
- The importance of creating a balanced assessment model that both improves and proves learning.
Student Learning Outcomes:
After completing this course, educators will be able to:
- Identify power standards.
- Repack the Common Core State Standards as part of a collaborative team.
- Collaborate with grade-level or subject-area teams to create common assessments.
- Create performance tasks, checklists, and rubrics appropriate to their grade levels or subject areas.
- Use formal and informal assessment tools to improve instruction and evaluate mastery of the standards.
About The Instructor
Sophia Thwaites earned her M.A. in Education with a Social Studies concentration from Teachers College, Columbia University, New York. She earned her B.A. in History from University of Florida.
Register for this class through KDSi. Effective January 1, 2015 the cost of this course will be $199.00.
NOTE: Upon registration, you have 2 months for course completion. Although many of our courses are approved for both 1 and 3 graduate professional development credits, participants can only receive credit for one version of each course.
A minimum $20 processing fee will be assessed per person for cancellations received after the start of the course. Refunds are not issued after the start of the course or after access to the course has been provided.