Differentiation and the Brain
Instructor: Sophia Thwaites
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
Course Fee: $329
Class Offered Through Knowledge Delivery Systems
Two of the most highly regarded names in educational neuroscience and differentiation join forces to create a new model of effective teaching. In this course, Carol Ann Tomlinson and David Sousa explain how discoveries about how the brain learns enhance the basic principles of differentiation. Armed with this knowledge, teachers will be able to make the best curricular, instructional,and assessment choices to meet the needs of an increasingly diverse student population.
After completing this course, educators will know:
- Mindset’s effects on student learning.
- Environment’s effects on learning.
- High quality, brain-friendly curriculum.
- Effective assessment strategies.
- Differentiation strategies to meet the needs of students’ different readiness, interests, and learning profiles.
- Effective management techniques for the differentiated classroom.
Student Learning Outcomes:
After completing this course, educators will apply the following skills:
- Embrace a growth mindset to affect student achievement.
- Create a cooperative classroom environment.
- Develop high quality curriculum.
- Employ assessment strategies for, as, and of student learning.
- Differentiate for readiness, interest, and learning profile.
- Lead and manage their differentiated classrooms.
About The Instructor
Sophia Thwaites earned her M.A. in Education with a Social Studies concentration from Teachers College, Columbia University, New York. She earned her B.A. in History from University of Florida.
Register for this class through KDSi. Effective January 1, 2015 the cost of this course will be $199.00.
NOTE: Upon registration, you have 2 months for course completion. Although many of our courses are approved for both 1 and 3 graduate professional development credits, participants can only receive credit for one version of each course.
A minimum $20 processing fee will be assessed per person for cancellations received after the start of the course. Refunds are not issued after the start of the course or after access to the course has been provided.