Motivating and Engaging Students
Instructor: Sophia Thwaites
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
Course Fee: $499
Class Offered Through Knowledge Delivery Systems
Meaningful learning achievement requires a high level of student engagement. This course teaches educators how to foster and encourage engagement through a variety of techniques and strategies including crafting the classroom environment, structuring lesson plans and using innovative teaching techniques. The course features interviews with teachers and students, classroom footage, workshop activities and lectures.
After completing this course, educators will know:
- Why student engagement is critical to academic achievement.
- How to generate high levels of attention and engagement as a result of careful planning.
- Research-based strategies to engage all students.
Student Learning Outcomes:
After completing this course, educators will apply the following skills:
- Execute specific strategies to engage students throughout their learning.
- Assess students’ engagement.
- Use four categories of strategies on a daily basis: effective pacing; demonstrating intensity and enthusiasm; building positive teacher-student and student-student relationships; using effective verbal feedback.
About The Instructor
Sophia Thwaites earned her M.A. in Education with a Social Studies concentration from Teachers College, Columbia University, New York. She earned her B.A. in History from University of Florida.
Register for this class through KDSi.
NOTE: Upon registration, you have 2 months for course completion. Although many of our courses are approved for both 1 and 3 graduate professional development credits, participants can only receive credit for one version of each course.
A minimum $20 processing fee will be assessed per person for cancellations received after the start of the course. Refunds are not issued after the start of the course or after access to the course has been provided.