Teaching Reading and Comprehension to English Language Learners, K-5
Instructor: Sophia Thwaites
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
Course Fee: $499
Class Offered Through Knowledge Delivery Systems
Despite the still-dominant view that ELLs are a homogeneous group whose needs can be addressed in a one-size-fits-all solution, this course focuses on a differentiated instruction approach premised on research-based, contrastive and personalized learning in reading and comprehension. Presenter Margarita Calderon provides an invaluable set of resources and practical tools, which teachers can implement immediately in the classroom and in promoting strong collaboration among teachers and administrators.
After completing this course, educators will know:
- How to recognize the diversity of English learners (ELs) in their classrooms.
- The importance of building vocabulary among ELs in the early grades.
- The recommendations of the Common Core State Standards regarding the teaching of reading and writing.
Student Learning Outcomes:
After completing this course, educators will be able to:
- Select vocabulary for pre-teaching.
- Use a seven-step process to pre-teach vocabulary.
- Use strategies to teach reading comprehension, including think-alouds and partner reading.
- Use strategies to teach writing and editing.
- Reflect on their own practices with the goal of improving the reading, writing, and editing skills of English learners.
About The Instructor
Sophia Thwaites earned her M.A. in Education with a Social Studies concentration from Teachers College, Columbia University, New York. She earned her B.A. in History from University of Florida.
Register for this class through KDSi. Effective January 1, 2015 the cost of this course will be $499.00.
NOTE: Upon registration, you have 2 months for course completion. Although many of our courses are approved for both 1 and 3 graduate professional development credits, participants can only receive credit for one version of each course.
A minimum $20 processing fee will be assessed per person for cancellations received after the start of the course. Refunds are not issued after the start of the course or after access to the course has been provided.