Transforming School Culture
Instructor: Sophia Thwaites
Monday, August 25, 2014 - Friday, December 12, 2014
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
Course Fee: $499
Class Offered Through Knowledge Delivery Systems
Presenter Anthony Muhammad sheds new light on understanding the complicated and dynamic relationships among school professionals in order to create a cohesive and positive culture. In this course, Muhammad identifies four general archetypes: The Believers,The Tweeners, The Survivors and The Fundamentalists. If not working harmoniously these types taken as a group on your staff can be highly resistant to change and prone to interpersonal discord. This course will provide insight coupled with practical strategies for understanding and working with each type to dramatically improve school culture.
After completing this course, educators will know:
- Why transforming school culture is essential to educational reform.
- The characteristics of four groups of teachers and the impact of each group on school culture.
- The role of school leaders (educators invested in school transformation) in creating the conditions that motivate people to change.
After completing this course, educators will apply the following skills:
- Strategize to build on staff assets.
- Reflect on his/her own contributions to the school’s culture.
- Overcome resistance and lay the foundation for a powerful learning environment.
- Develop a plan for transforming school culture.
About The Instructor
Sophia Thwaites earned her M.A. in Education with a Social Studies concentration from Teachers College, Columbia University, New York. She earned her B.A. in History from University of Florida.
Register for this class through KDSi.
NOTE: Upon registration, you have 2 months for course completion. Although many of our courses are approved for both 1 and 3 graduate professional development credits, participants can only receive credit for one version of each course.
A minimum $20 processing fee will be assessed per person for cancellations received after the start of the course. Refunds are not issued after the start of the course or after access to the course has been provided.