The Challenging Child: Strategies for the Early Childhood Classroom
EDUC 792 or 600
Instructor: Dr. Larry Napoleon
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Correspondence
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $390
Partner Class Offered Through Learner's Edge
Created for early childhood education professionals, this course is filled with strategies designed to assess challenging behaviors, as well as ways to address those behaviors, and to plan appropriate interventions, curriculum and teaching practices.
As a result of participation in this course, students will be able to:
- Create strong partnerships with students and their families.
- Learn to assess behavioral challenges in the classroom and how they can be addressed.
- Learn to work collaboratively with colleagues and parents/guardians to help students succeed in choosing appropriate classroom behaviors.
- Understand how formal and informal interventions can be used to help students succeed.
- Determine if intervention strategies are effective.
- Learn to be proactive in planning for crises and learn when to seek outside support.
- Text(s): Bell Hart, S., Carr, V., Denno, D., Johnson, L., Phillips, L. (2012), Challenging behaviors in early childhood setting: creating a place for all children. Paul H. Brookes Publishing Company, Baltimore, MD.
- Articles: (referenced in the study guide and posted on our website)
- Boynton, M. and Boynton, C. (October, 2012). ASCD: Educator's Guide to Preventing and Solving Discipline Problems: Dealing with Challenging Students.
- Checkley, C. (Winter 1998). Educational Leadership: “Supporting Children by Supporting Families”
- Crowe,C. (February, 2010). Educational Leadership: “Teaching Children with Challenging Behavior,” pages 65-67.
- Jensen, E. (October, 2012). Educational Leadership: Teaching with Poverty in Mind: “How Poverty Affects Behavior and Academic Performance”
- Nelson, A. (April, 2006). Educational Leadership: “Closing the Gap: Early Childhood Education”
Course is not available online.