Assessment and the Common Core State Standards
Instructor: Stephanie Wertkins, Instructor; Kay Burke, Presenter
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
Partner Course Fee: $499
Partner Class Offered Through Knowledge Delivery Systems
Using a Common Core State standards-based assessment and grading approach, Dr. Kay Burke teaches a comprehensive course on the critical role that assessments play in today's classrooms, both formative and summatlve. Dr. Burke promotes the use of performance-based tasks that make real-life connections, and explains how to use rubrics to assess the critical skills and understanding that the tasks target. In the course, you'll see Dr. Burke working with teams of teachers to plan instruction, and create common assessments, and implement them in real classroom settings.
After completing this course, educators will know:
- How to distinguish between formative assessment, summative assessment, and evaluation.
- The importance of creating a balanced assessment model that both improves and proves learning.
Student Learning Outcomes:
After completing this course, educators will be able to:
- Identify power standards.
- Repack the Common Core State Standards as part of a collaborative team.
- Collaborate with grade-level or subject-area teams to create common assessments.
- Create performance tasks, checklists, and rubrics appropriate to their grade levels or subject areas.
- Use formal and informal assessment tools to improve instruction and evaluate mastery of the standards.
Register for this class through KDSi. NOTE: Upon registration, you have 2 months for course completion. Although many of our courses are approved for both 1 and 3 graduate professional development credits, participants can only receive credit for one version of each course.