Instructor: Dewey Walsh, Ed.D.
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Correspondence
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $280
The purpose of this course is to focus on ASD, Autism Spectrum Disorders, its description and causes. Resources for treatment, therapies, intervention, educational strategies and tips focuses on information needed to form a safety net that can save the child before the learning gap widens.
As a result of participation in this, course, students should:
- Develop an understanding of the history and future of ASD.
- Develop an understanding of the diagnosis and behavior characteristics of autism spectrum disorders.
- Learn of resources of knowledge of treatment and methods, benefits, services, funding and support systems.
- Learn of resources for the family to address everyday living along with educational resources and assessment of abilities, IEP (Individualized Education Program).
- Learn of preparation and resources for the child after school into adulthood.
- Learn strategies and techniques that will help in working with Autistic children in the classroom.
The required text: Sicile-Kira, Chantal (2004) Autism Spectrum Disorders NY: Pergee Book. Textbook can be ordered from http://www.amazon.com