Instructor: Dewey Walsh
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Correspondence
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $280
The purpose of this course is to focus on ASD, Autism Spectrum Disorders, its description and causes. Resources for treatment, therapies, intervention, educational strategies and tips focuses on information needed to form a safety net that can save the child before the learning gap widens.
As a result of participation in this, course, students should:
- Develop an understanding of the history and future of ASD.
- Develop an understanding of the diagnosis and behavior characteristics of autism spectrum disorders.
- Learn of resources of knowledge of treatment and methods, benefits, services, funding and support systems.
- Learn of resources for the family to address everyday living along with educational resources and assessment of abilities, IEP (Individualized Education Program).
- Learn of preparation and resources for the child after school into adulthood.
- Learn strategies and techniques that will help in working with Autistic children in the classroom.
The required text: Sicile-Kira, Chantal (2004) Autism Spectrum Disorders NY: Pergee Book. Textbook can be ordered from http://www.amazon.com
About The Instructor
Dewey J. Walsh, Ed.D. was a public school teacher and guidance counselor for 34 years. Dewey taught graduate-level professional education classes through Moorhead State University, Moorhead, MN for 10 years and the University of St. Thomas, St. Paul, MN, for 26 years. Dewey was born in Grand Forks, North Dakota where he attended the University of North Dakota, earning a B.S. & M.A. in Education and a Doctorate in Teacher Education.
A minimum $20 processing fee will be assessed per person for cancellations received after the start of the course. Refunds are not issued after the start of the course or after access to the course has been provided. Use the Cancel Registration Form to cancel your registration for an NDSU Distance and Continuing Education class.