Authors’ Studies: A Survey of Literature for Classroom Teachers
Instructor: Kimberly Nielsen
Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - Tuesday, November 19, 2013
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
Partner Course Fee: $695
Gain access to the latest and best literature available for teachers in grades Pre-K through 12. Conduct surveys and collect lists of books for the classrooms. Review a wide selection of authors and read a variety of suggested materials to become familiar with them. Focus on student achievement while presenting, sharing, and analyzing instructional strategies, ideas and activities.
As a result of participation in this course, participants should:
- Understand the theoretical base and underlying principles and concepts using the tool of higher level thinking skills.
- Share the latest research or the best reading strategies of the primary text and the knowledge base.
- Review a wide selection of books in the categories of children’s literature, fiction, non-fiction, science fiction/fantasy, biography, and classic fiction and make a list of their top ten must read books for the age group they teach.
- Know how to analyze the literature can be beneficial in improving student achievement.
- Appreciate the best literature for its literary merits
- Be provided with a forum for discussing and analyzing the best books and how best to apply the book as part of the classroom curriculum and instruction.
- Have a greater knowledge of the best children’s literature and its implications.
- Be able to implement classroom reading strategies and activities covered in this course.
- Gain the opportunity to read together current literature in the course and analyze it for its application to the classroom.
Fountas, Irene C., & Pinnel Gay Su. (2001). Guiding Readers and Writers. Portsmouth, NH, Heinemann.
Textbook is in addition to course fees.
The total cost includes the NDSU graduate credit however textbooks are not included.
You will be directed to the IGS website for registration.