Understanding Common Core Standards (P-12)
Instructor: Kimberly Nielsen
Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - Tuesday, April 29, 2014
Section 2: April 9 - May 28, 2014
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
Partner Course Fee: $695
This is three-credit continuing education course provides teachers with the time to study and analyze the Common Core Standards as they apply to their literacy curricular area and their classrooms. The course will cover the theoretical base and underlying principles and concepts. Teachers are expected to study, reflect upon, and write/adapt curriculum to meet the literary standards in their subject area. Discussion, web-based research, and daily adaptation will be the cornerstones of the course. Teachers will have an overview of CCSS Language Arts standards for integration into their academic areas. Teachers will also, through their own research, study and implement the standards specific to the areas they teach. Many teaching ideas, materials, strategies and activities will be shared, analyzed and evaluated to the end that students of participants will experience improved performance and higher levels of achievement.
As a result of participation in this course, participants will know and understand:
1. How the new Common Core Standards benefit students’ learning.
2. What Common Core Standards are in general, and the reason they have such a sweeping effect on education in our nation.
3. How specific Common Core Literacy Standards apply to their curricular area.
4. How to analyze the standards for understanding.
5. How to adapt and/or write Literacy lessons to meet the standards in their classroom.
6. The new testing measures and assessments related to Common Core standards.
7. How best to prepare students for new nation-wide assessments.
8. How RTI relates to the Common Core Standards.
9. How the Wisconsin Academic Model Standards compares to National Common Core Standards and analyzing the differences.
10. The standards that need to be addressed for the students and subject area they teach.
Calkins, L., Ehrenworth, M., & Lehman, C. (2012). Pathways to the Common Core: Accelerating Achievement. Portsmouth, NH, Heinemann Books.
The total cost includes the NDSU graduate credit however textbooks are not included.
You will be directed to the IGS website for registration.