How to Effectively Communicate With Parents
Instructor: Joshua Stein
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
Partner Course Fee: $400
As educators we all intrinsically know that good parental involvement and partnership with the educational system benefits children. We also have mounds of research that supports this. In practice however, it isn't always so easy to have excellent and consistent communication and involvement from home. This course is designed to give educators a systematic plan for engaging even the most difficult to reach care givers to assist the students to achieve their greatest potentials.
Upon completion course participants:
- will assess personal strengths and weaknesses in dealing with parents.
- will develop a written plan for communicating and dealing with parents throughout the year.
- will analyze the diversity of their student population in regards to their parents and or care givers.
- will create a plan for successful parent teacher conferences.
- will proactively develop responses to common situations that may arise between teachers and caregivers.
- will create a system for communicating homework and assignments to parents.
- will develop a plan for problem solving student needs with parental involvement.
- will develop ways to deal effectively with hostile or nonresponsive parents.
- will develop effective communication with the parents of students with special needs.
- will support using article reviews the statement, “Parental Involvement positively effects student achievement.”
- will be developed through the class sessions as well as the readings, videos and written responses.
"Parents On Your Side: A Teacher's Guide to Creating Positive Relationships with Parents" by Lee Canter, ISBN- 978-1-934009-19-2.
This book is the Companion Reading book. You will read it as you work through each lesson. "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie, ISBN: 978-1607962175
Both books can be ordered from http://www.amazon.com
The total cost includes the NDSU graduate credit however textbooks are not included.