How to Identify and Combat Bullying in Our Schools
Instructor: Joshua Stein
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
Partner Course Fee: $400
Everyone knows bullying is an issue. Hopefully you haven't been forced to deal with it. But you can't just sit on the sidelines and wait for the worst to happen. No! You must take this course so that you can be counted as one of the many who are fighting against bullying in our schools! The course is designed as a self-paced distance learning module. You can learn from the comfort and privacy of your own home. You will be required to read books and articles, watch videos, provide written responses as well as write a brief essay at the culmination of class.
Upon completion course participants:
- assess personal beliefs towards bullying.
- learn a specific definition of bullying.
- develop a written plan for dealing with bullying and harassment in their school setting.
- analyze the diversity of their student population.
- define Relational Bullying.
- proactively develop responses to common situations that may arise in school.
- learn to identify subtle bullying behaviors.
- understand how Cyber Bullying works.
- develop ways to deal proactively and effectively with bullying in their population.
- identify the victim, the bully, and the bystander.
- support bullying prevention using article reviews.
"The Bully, the Bullied, and the Bystander: From Preschool to High School--How Parents and Teachers Can Help Break the Cycle of Violence" by Barbara Coloroso, ISBN-13: 978-0060014308
This book is the Companion Reading book. You will read it as you work through each lesson.
"Queen Bees and Wannabes: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends, and the New Realities of Girl World" by Rosalind Wiseman, ISBN: 978-0307454447
This book will be read outside of class time. Please read it as you take the course.
The total cost includes the NDSU graduate credit however textbooks are not included.