On-Line Videos for Teaching & Learning
Instructor: Jim Ruid
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Course is offered: November 1 - December 31, 2013
January 1 - February 28, 2014
March 1 - April 30, 2014
May 1 - June 30, 2014
July 1 - August 31, 2014
September 1 - October 31, 2014
November 1 - December 31, 2014
Instruction Mode: Correspondence
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $265
Social media is causing a giant shift in the world of education, if we choose to embrace the change. Youtube, Ted Talks and Kahn Academy have thousands of videos you can use in your classroom to reinforce, inspire, review, quiz, self-direct, supplement, annotate and more. This is a skill that helps students move from knowledge to critical-thinking and finding answers on their own. This course exposes teachers to new ideas and examines ways to tap into what others have already which is easily brought into the classroom.
During this course participants will:
Create a playlist in www.youtube.com. Use my link to get started but feel free to research additional videos as necessary: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1pKo1hEs2E1Jz6IdXcltv3G3-FZ2emt6&feature=view_all . You may have to create an account if you do not have one. Pick a lesson that you what to enhance and include seven videos, here are some ideas to consider:
- Lead in for a lesson
- Add real-life connections
- Explore cultural relevance
- Add remediation
- Alternative viewpoints
- Visual context
What is reliable? Consider the source, grammar, spelling, video and sound quality, but all these aside, does it work for you? Share you playlist with me. Use rubric.
Add an annotation to one of your videos. Follow this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMmOPFKCs48&feature=youtube. Add three annotations to the video that enhance the video to help your students make connections to your lesson.
Design a lesson using a playlist from Youtube and the Kahn Academy Channel. Include 5 videos and annotate at least one. Use the lesson plan format included or one of your own. Share the play list with me.
Reflect on a video from http://www.ted.com/. Make the reflection at least one page in length, double spaced, size 12 font with standard margin. Use writing rubric at the bottom.
Know the 6 NETS and Performance Indicators for Teachers by reflecting on how your new lesson plan meets each of the 6 standards. Write one paragraph which summarizes your integration of each standard into your new lesson plan.
The required viewing is found on www.youtube.com, Microsoft Help and ISTE National Educational Technology Standards (NETS) and Performance Indicators for Teachers.
- Alexander, Q, & Garretson, C. (2009, Fall). Formative assessment ideas: & standards-based grading. Retrieved from http://emat621.wikispaces.com/Tuesday+-+Formative+Assessment;
- Barnett, S, Ham, V, Mackereth, G, & Winter, M. (2009, June 29). Use of technology to improve language learning outcomes evaluative report. Retrieved from http://www.core-ed.org/lab/research-report/use-of-technology-to-improve-language-learning-outcomes;
- Careless, J. (2012, January 31). Social Media: It Does Have a Place in the Classroom Tech & Learning. Retrieved June 10th 2012 from http://www.techlearning.com/article/52186;
- Heflebowe, T. (2010, May 21). formative assessment & standards-based grading. Retrieved from http://marzanoresearch.com/Free_Resources/docs/FASBG_St_Charles.pdf;
- Roscoria, T. (2012, July) Common Core Teamwork Culls Content. Converge Online, volume 1, issue 3. Retrieved July 5th 2007, from http://www.convergemag.com/policy/Common-Core-Collaboration-Culls-Content.html?utm_source=related&utm_medium=direct&utm_campaign=Common-Core-Collaboration-Culls-Content;
- Roscoria, T. (2011, August). School Districts Integrate Technology into Common Core-based Curriculum. Converge Online. Retrieved June 10th 2012, from http://www.convergemag.com/policy/School-Districts-Integrate-Technology-into-Common-Core-based-Curriculum.html?utm_source=related&utm_medium=direct&utm_campaign=School-Districts-Integrate-Technology-into-Common-Core-based-Curriculum .