Got Skills? Common Core Beyond ELA & Mathematics K-12
EDUC 792 or 600
Instructor: Dr. Olufunmilayo Amobi
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $385
Partner Class Offered Through Learner's Edge
Common Core State Standards (CCSS) are taking the education world by storm - are you ready? Although much attention is focused on English/Language Arts and Math standards within the CCSS, all educators must be aware of the skills highlighted and measured in this almost-national initiative. This course will break down seven key proficiencies into sets of skills, providing examples and instructional format for infusing CCSS skills into all disciplines and grade levels. Educators will focus on skills most applicable for their content and students, and will design lessons and activities supporting and incorporating the common core. Coursework will also focus on timely issues surrounding CCSS in its many facets. This course will serve as an invaluable resource to help your students meet the skills required for CCSS compliance
Goals & Objectives:
As a result of participation in this course, students should:
- Understand CCSS-highlighted skills and proficiencies.
- Assess and determine how to improve current skill instruction and infusion in their classrooms.
- Design or modify current lessons and activities based on the proficiencies and skills within the CCSS.
- Learn and utilize the Three Phase Model of skill instruction through examples and sample performance tasks.
- Evaluate and assess their own comfort level with CCSS, in addition to practices that must be strengthened within the classroom in order for students to meet goals of rigor and compliance.
Text(s): Bellanca, James A., Fogarty, Robin J., and Pete, Brian M. (2012). How to Teach Thinking Skills Within The Common Core. Solution Tree Press.
Articles: (referenced in the study guide and linked in your online course)
Hoehn, Natasha. (September13, 2012). ARTSblog: Unleashing Creativity in the Classroom via Common Core Standards
Burris, Carol (2013). The Washington Post: I was Naïve About the Common Core.
Heitin, Liana (March 13, 2013). Education Week Whitepapers: In common Core, Teachers See Interdisciplinary Opportunities
Course is not available print-based.