Instructor: Sandra Opheim
Grading: Letter or S/U
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Correspondence
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $280
Course participants will read the text The Bully, the Bullied, and the Bystander by international speaker and author Barbara Coloroso. This course will provide the participant with background information on bullying issues and violence prevention. Although prevention of violence in schools is difficult to measure, becoming aware of the mechanics of violent students and those he/she may affect is worth the effort. This course will help teachers identify kinds of bullies, ways to heal the bullied, address discipline issues, and develop awareness of bullying taking place in schools around our nation. The students of the course participants will be able to recognize the characteristics of a bully and protocols on handling bullying situations.
Goals & Objectives:
As a result of this participation in this course, students will:
- Be able to demonstrate an understanding of chapters read from the required book through written response.
- Be able to demonstrate an understanding of on-line resource readings through written summary and reflective responses.
- Be able to identify the current bully-free policies in place in his/her school.
- Be able to identify the signs of bullying.
- Be able to identify the signs of a student who is bullied.
- Be able to identify ways to assists parents of bullied students.
The required reading is found in the text listed below:
Coloroso, Barbara. (2009) The Bully, the Bullied, and the Bystander. Harper Collins Publishing. New York, NY.
The total cost includes the NDSU graduate credit however textbook is not included.