A Primary Teacher’s Guide to Positive Discipline
Instructor: Sharie Adamson, Professional Development Institute
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $345
This course helps teachers to learn new and innovative ways for managing and controlling behavior using traditional and non-traditional, positive methods for discipline and order. Teachers will be provided with many resources and ideas to effectively manage their classrooms and student behavior while proactively promoting organization, communication, safety, structure, and a positive classroom environment that supports learning.
1. Teachers will learn what positive discipline is.
2. Teachers will learn strategies for helping students get along.
3. Teachers will learn how to create a positive classroom image and promote an effective learning environment.
4. Teachers will gain new communication skills and classroom management techniques.
5. Teachers will understand how to establish rules and guidelines that children adhere to.
6. Teachers will learn how to motivate students and get them interested in learning.
7. Teachers will learn how to handle difficult classroom situations.
8. Teachers will learn how to be more proactive.
9. Teachers will learn how to manage students groups.
10. Teacher will learn techniques for getting organized.
11. Teachers will learn how to communicate with parents and how to get them involved.
12. Teachers will obtain resources and forms that can be used for supporting positive discipline.
13. Teachers will learn how to handle bullying.
14. Teachers will learn how to engage their students in the community.
15. Teachers will learn how to create a caring atmosphere where students feel comfortable and safe.
“Teaching Outside the Box: How to Grab Your Students By Their Brains” by LouAnne Johnson
Textbook can be ordered from Amazon.com or at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470903740/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=0470903740&link_code=as3&tag=profesdevel00-20
The total cost includes the NDSU graduate credit however textbooks are not included.