Comprehension: The Key to Becoming a Successful Reader
Instructor: Stephanie Sukut
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Monday, August 25, 2014 - Friday, December 19, 2014
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $345
This course focuses on improving students’ comprehension skills. The course begins offering three different options for assessing comprehension. Then, teachers are introduced to a wealth of strategies that can improve and support a reader’s comprehension. Strategies presented include: anticipation guides, DRTA, questioning techniques, text structure, guided reading and reciprocal teaching.
1. Teachers will learn how to assess students’ comprehension skills using three different techniques.
2. Teachers will be introduced to the Common Core Standards for Reading.
3. Teachers will learn the different levels of comprehension.
4. Teachers will learn effective pre-reading strategies that help set a purpose for reading.
5. Teachers will learn how to use DRTA.
6. Teachers will learn how to ask questions at various levels of comprehension.
7. Teachers will learn how to develop and teach a guided reading lesson.
8. Teachers will learn how to use reciprocal teaching methods.
9. Teacher will learn how vocabulary affects student comprehension.
10. Teachers will learn how to use the cloze procedure and maze technique.
11. Teachers will learn about text structure and patterns of organization.
12. Teachers will learn how to help students comprehend nonfiction text.
13. Teachers will learn how to help students monitor their own comprehension.
14. Teachers will learn what reciprocal teaching is.
15. Teachers will learn how to use the into-through-beyond approach.
16. Teachers will learn how to implement a guided reading program.
17. Teachers will learn how to use quality literature to inspire readers.
“The Next Step in Guided Reading” by Jan Richardson
The text can be found at Amazon.com or at http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=%E2%80%9CThe%20Next%20Step%20in%20Guided%20Reading%E2%80%9D%20by%20Jan%20Richardson
About The Instructor
The total cost includes the NDSU graduate credit however textbooks are not included.
A minimum $20 processing fee will be assessed per person for cancellations received after the start of the course. Refunds are not issued after the start of the course or after access to the course has been provided.