Google as a Classroom Tool for Learning (K-12)
Instructor: Dianne Nichols, Professional Development Institute
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $345
This course will teach educators how to effectively use Google products and services for educational purposes. Teachers will learn how to create a Google account and learn its many benefits for the classroom. Teachers will practice navigating through the general interface of Google products. The searching, organizational, communication, and collaboration components of Google products will be highlighted to help teachers develop a deeper understanding of how Google can enhance learning among and between students. Teachers will learn to utilize the basic tools of many educationally-relevant Google products and, with the use of such products, will become skilled in creating standards-based lessons that will help students learn in an efficient, effective, and engaged manner.
1. Teachers will learn policies and laws that surround Internet safety for students.
2. Teachers will learn how to support students in safe online navigation by teaching student netiquette.
3. Teachers will understand the importance of creating a Google account.
4. Teachers will learn how to use Google’s advanced search tools to locate reading level-specific content for students.
5. Teachers will gain an understanding of how to use various search tools such as Google Images, Google Videos, and Google Scholar to yield relevant search results in a desired format.
6. Teachers will learn how to create a custom search engine to regulate the online sources accessible to their students.
7. Teachers will become knowledgeable on how to use Google Talk to text, voice and video chat to promote collaboration between students.
8. Teachers will learn how to create a classroom calendar to organize school events and set homework reminders using Google Calendar.
9. Teachers will understand how to access educational apps that can be used to enhance learning.
10. Teachers will develop an understanding on how Google Drive’s capabilities can help students collaborate on projects from home.
11. Teachers will recognize how Google+ can digitally connect them with colleagues, students, and parents and help them deliver information to predetermined groups of professional contacts.
12. Teachers will understand how Picasa and Picasa Web Albums can serve as platforms for integrating digital media and photography into the classroom.
13. Teachers will learn how to use Google Sites to create classroom websites and understand how Google Sites can foster technology-based projects.
14. Teachers will see the benefit in using Blogger to nurture the exchange of knowledge and ideas between students.
15. Teachers will become skilled on how to use Google News to find primary and secondary sources in both modern and historical contexts and learn how to create custom news sections.
16. Teachers will learn how to use Google Maps to find and view locations from various perspectives, generate directions between various points, and develop an understanding on how the creation of custom maps can enrich their curriculum.
17. Teachers will understand how Google Earth can be used to provide students with a clear and accurate view of the Earth and galaxy.
18. Teachers will acquire knowledge on how Google Groups can serve as a medium through which effective online discussions can take place.
19. Teachers will learn how to access YouTube’s educational channels and create their own channel for classroom use.
20. Teachers will be presented with Google-based lesson plans that support curriculum standards at all grade levels.
21. Teachers will be given specific ideas and resources that teach them how to integrate Google products into their classroom.
“The World Is Open” by Curtis J. Bonk
Text can be found at Amazon.com or at http://www.amazon.com/The-World-Open-Technology-Revolutionizing/dp/1118013816/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380135228&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=%E2%80%9CThe+World+Is+Open%E2%80%9D+by+Curtis+J.+Bonk
The total cost includes the NDSU graduate credit however textbooks are not included.