Reaching Students through Character Education
Instructor: Sharie Adamson
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $345
In this online course, participants will learn the six building blocks of character and how to explore them with students through discussions, activities, and projects. They will learn how to teach students to make the right choices in problem situations and help build their awareness of accountability for their actions. Teachers will also learn how to help students handle conflict resolution.
1. Teachers will understand the importance of teaching character education to students.
2. Teachers will become familiar with the six building blocks of character.
3. Teachers will become familiar with strategies for conducting discussions regarding difficult issues and dilemmas.
4. Teachers will learn activities they can use to build character in students.
5. Teachers will discover projects they can do with students to build awareness of character education.
6. Teachers will learn strategies for helping students make the right decisions in difficult situations.
7. Teachers will be introduced to ideas for helping students understand accountability for their actions.
8. Teachers will be introduced to effective conflict resolution strategies.
9. Teachers will learn how to help students use their character education knowledge when playing sports.
10. Teachers will learn how to integrate character education into the content areas.
11. Teachers will learn how to design community outreach projects.
12. Teachers will learn the importance of modeling the behaviors they are trying to reinforce.
13. Teachers will better understand the impact of character education on improved grades.
14. Teachers will learn to how to teach character education in the context of a green classroom.
15. Teachers will understand how character education benefits the overall management of the classroom.
“How Children Succeed” by Paul Tough
Text can be found at Amazon.com or at http://www.amazon.com/How-Children-Succeed-Curiosity-Character/dp/0544104404/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380117962&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=%E2%80%9CHow+Children+Succeed%E2%80%9D+by+Paul+Tough
About The Instructor
Sharie has 16 years of professional experience in education, reading instruction, and adult education. Her expertise is in curriculum development, curriculum standards, data analysis, and peer coaching. Sharie has earned an M.S. in Education and Reading from California State University in Fullerton, CA. Her B.A. in Liberal Studies was earned from California State University in Long Beach, CA.
The total cost includes the NDSU graduate credit however textbooks are not included.
A minimum $20 processing fee will be assessed per person for cancellations received after the start of the course. Refunds are not issued after the start of the course or after access to the course has been provided.