Study Smarter Not Harder: Study Skills for Students
Instructor: Laura Cahill, Professional Development Institute
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $345
This online training course will help provide strategies to improve students' study skills and gain techniques to improve tests scores and memorization and recall of content curriculum. Teachers will be given techniques, ideas, and resources for helping students to develop their study skills such as the use of mnemonics, time management and note-taking skills, and the ability to establish a good study environment. With the use of visual aids, innovative strategies, and helpful worksheets, teachers will be able to develop their students’ study skills and help take the fear out of test-taking.
1. Teachers will learn how to help students set and meet study goals and objectives.
2. Teachers will learn how to teach students about different text structures and patterns of organization.
3. Teachers will learn how to teach students to assess their own skills.
4. Teachers will learn techniques to improve students' listening skills.
5. Teachers will learn how to introduce time management strategies to students for better study practices.
6. Teachers will understand how to develop students' most critical reading skills.
7. Teachers will learn how to introduce and create mnemonics and other study tools.
8. Teachers will learn how improve students' note-taking skills.
9. Teachers will learn the best approaches for teaching students how to outline text.
10. Teachers will learn how to build practice tests.
11. Teachers will obtain ideas for incorporating audio and visual aids for studying into the classroom.
12. Teachers will learn how to help students create an effective study environment and develop lifelong study habits.
13. Teachers will be able to create helpful study guides and guides for students, as well as, guides for parents to help their children study.
14. Teachers will learn effective summarization techniques.
15. Teachers will learn strategies for helping students locate the main idea in text.
16. Teachers will learn how to locate online resources for helping students gain good study habits.
“The Organized Student: Teaching Children the Skills for Success in School and Beyond” by Donna Goldberg
Text can be found at Amazon.com or at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0743270207/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=0743270207&link_code=as3&tag=profesdevel00-20
The total cost includes the NDSU graduate credit however textbooks are not included.