Common Core Literacy Strategies
Instructor: Dr. Olufunmilayo Amobi
Monday, February 03, 2014 - Friday, April 18, 2014
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $375 + textbook
The course focuses on six core authentic literacy strategies that educators can use to help students become successful, independent learners. The six strategies are closely aligned with the demands of the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts & Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science and Technical Subjects. Participants will develop lesson plans and instructional activities to implement the strategies in their classrooms. Moreover, participants will review best practices for implementing Common Core literacy skills in current literature.
1. Respond to a journal article on Common Core literacy.
2. Design a lesson to implement Reading for Meaning.
3. Design a lesson to implement Compare and Contrast.
4. Design a lesson to implement Inductive Learning.
5. Develop a learning activity to implement Circle of Knowledge.
6. Develop a learning activity to implement Write to Learn.
7. Develop a learning activity to implement Vocabulary’s Code.
8. Engage in reflection on the implementation of a lesson or learning activity.
Silver, H. F., Dewing, R.H.,& Perini, M.J. (2012). The core six: Essential strategies for achieving excellence with the Common Core. Alexandria, VA: ASCD; ISBN: 978-14166-1475-3. Text can be ordered from http://Amazon.com or from the Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development.
1. Boyles, N. (December 2012/January 2013). Closing in on closed reading. Educational Leadership, 70(4), pp.36-41.
2. Hiebert, E.H., & Pearson, P.D. (December 2012/January 2013). What happens to the basics? Educational Leadership, 70(4), pp. 48 – 53.
3. Billings, L., & Roberts, T. (December 2012/January 2013). “Think like a seminar.” Educational Leadership, 70(4), pp. 68-73.
4. Lamer, J & Mergendoller, J.R. (December 2012/January 2013). Speaking of speaking. Educational Leadership, 70(4), pp. 74-77
5. Marzano, R.J. (December 2012/January 2013). Analyzing complex texts. Educational Leadership, 70(4), pp. 84-85.
*Articles are found in “Common Core, Now What?” December 2012/January 2013 issue of Educational Leadership. Available for purchase at http://shop.ascd.org/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=77151604&Educational-leadership-dec-2012/jan-2013-common-core:-now-what?
The cost of the course does not include the textbook.