How to Download and Install Pronto
Pronto, also part of the Wimba Collaboration Suite, is an instant messenger provided as an additional feature to instructors and students using Blackboard. Instant messaging is a synchronous, or "live", form of communication between two (or more) people, based on typed text. It differs from email largely insofar as messages are exchanged simultaneously. The newest version of Pronto also provides additional useful features including a whiteboard, desktop application sharing, and video chat. Use Pronto to provide virtual office hours, provide tutorial instruction, or as a way for students to have informal class or project meetings.
One of the main differences between Pronto and other instant messaging programs (such as AOL or Microsoft Instant Messenger) is that Pronto is synchronized with Blackboard, so it is very easy to find classmates and instructors. Once it has been installed on your computer, you do not need to be logged into Blackboard to use Pronto.
Pronto is software that must be downloaded and installed on the computer before you can use it. You can download and install Pronto for ALL of the computers that you use at home and at the office. Use these steps to get Pronto:
- Login to Blackboard and navigate to the course shell.
- Select Communication from the navigation bar. It does not matter which link you choose (sometimes the navigation bar will include two Communication links). Both will take you to the correct web page.
- On the next screen, scroll down until you see the Pronto icon. Select Wimba Pronto.
- On the next screen, select Register and download Wimba Pronto.
- You will need to create your account the first time you visit this page. Once you've created an account, you will not need to repeat this step, even if you need to install Pronto again.
- Pronto will automatically create a username for you. Make a note of this username because you will need it again at a later time.
- Create a password in the space provided, and re-enter it to confirm.
- Check that the email address listed is correct. Pronto will send you an email message to that address. This may take a few moments.
- Once you have received the confirmation email from Pronto, follow the instructions provided there to continue.
- Return to the Wimba Pronto download screen and select the large orange cirle (for Windows) or the link provided for Mac OS to begin the installation process.
- A pop-up dialog window will ask you to run or save the file. You can choose either; selecting Run will immediately start the installation process. If you choose Save select the location on your computer where the file will be saved. Return to it when the download is complete and begin installation by selecting the file.
- Follow the installation instructions provided on screen. The next screen is the Pronto Wizard set-up. Select Next in the lower right hand screen.
- Read through the Pronto Licensure Agreement and select I Agree to continue.
- Verify the Pronto components to install. You can accept the options that are chosen if you are uncertain. Select Next to continue.
- Confirm the installation location, and select Install.
- Select Finish to complete the installation.
- Once the installation is complete, the Pronto software will start.
- Also notice the shortcut program icon will that appears on your desktop. Select it to access the Pronto program in the future.
- When the program opens, enter the username and password that you previously created and select the sign in button.
- Once you are signed in, you will see all your Blackboard courses, and the names of any other classmates and instructors who are using Pronto for those courses.
- Pronto has many features, including: text chat, VOIP, video chat, a whiteboard, and application sharing. Access the official Pronto User's Guides here: