Select Current Projects
- Fargo/Cass County Emergency Management The Department of Emergency Management works closely with Fargo/Cass County Emergency Management. At any given time, there are a number of ongoing projects on which the Department and Fargo/Cass County are collaborating. An example of a current project is helping Fargo/Cass County Emergency Management integrate social media into their future response and recovery activities.
- Boy's State Exercise Facilitation An annual 2-day exercise developed and faciltiated by North Dakota State University Department of Emergency Management faculty and students in collaboration with key emergency management relevant agency representatives for high school boys from around North Dakota. The exercise is designed to help them learn about emergency management and the various roles of government organizations in emergency management.
- Expanding Your Horizons Exercise An annual education event for middle school girls in grades 7-9 in North Dakota. Girls are provided an overview of emergency management and the opportunity to participate in an abbreviated functional exercise. The exercise is designed to help the girls understand teh role of emergency management in these types of events.
- RED Team Assessments Emergency management program students annually assess the vulnerabilities of a number of campus facilities and provide recommendations to campus administrators responsible for the facililties.
- Gap Analysis Each year emergency management program students assess the vulnerabilities and preparedness of between 3 and 5 local schools, organizations, and businesses and provide recommendations as to how to go about addressing any areas of weakness found.
Select Past Projects
- Teen CERT Each semester emergency management students facilitate the Teen CERT curriculum in regional area middle and high schools. The students are embedded within a course in the standard curriculum (e.g., PTE or Health) and facilitate the course once a week for a 10-week period.
- Ready Campus Initiative The NDSU Ready Campus Initiative was funded by the Department of Education (ED) Emergency Management for Higher Education (EMHE) grant program. This competitive grant is awarded only to Institutions of Higher Education (IHE) which exhibit a progressive vision for the integration of emergency management practices into their operational structures and demonstrate the capabilities and drive to successfully execute goals and objective unique to each IHE’s established needs.
- ABC's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Department of Emergency Management students handled the management of volunteers for ABC's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition in the Fall of 2010 for a build in Moorhead, MN. Over the course of the week of the build, students managed more than 4,000 volunteers.
- Ready Campus Initiative: Ready Campus Summit The Ready Campus Initiative (RCI) sponsored the Ready Campus Summit for Higher Education on Thursday September 30 and Friday October 1, 2010. The free conference focused on the importance of comprehensive emergency planning efforts and relationship building within a Higher Education framework. The conference also provided attendees with helpful planning strategies and materials to better protect lives, property, and sustain operations during a campus crisis. More than 80 individuals representing emergency management and higher education from 27 institutions/organizations in North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, and Montana attended.
- EMSA's Emergency Preparedness Expo Held annually in the Memorial Union Great Room. The event focused on educating students and faculty on hazard awareness and preparedness. Organizations participating in the event included: NDSU Extension Service, Clay County GIS, Fargo Cass Public Service, ND State Climate Office - NDSU, Fargo Fire Department, National Weather Service, Sanford Health, American Red Cross, NDSU UP & SO, Red River Radio Amateurs, FM Ambulance, Fargo-Cass Emergency Management, Lutheran Disaster Response, Fargo Police Department, Ready Campus Initiative, NDSU Department of Emergency Management, Emergency Management Student Association.
- 2009 Fargo Flood Fight Department students managed volunteers and information in conjunction with FirstLink and Fargo/Cass County Emergency Management.
- Prepared Kids
- Disaster Resistant University
- Fargo Marathon Department students were embedded with the Fargo Marathon planning team and provided advice on emergency management. Additionally, students prepared an EOP for the Marathon that was first used in 2008 and continues to be maintained and used each year.
- Distinguished Professor Series The department brought in three distinguished professors between 2007 and 2009 to teach seminars on their specialty areas. Dr. Elaine Enarson, May 18-22, focused on gender and disaster. Lucien G. Canton, CEM, CPP,CBCP, May 19-23, 2008, focused on Emergency Management in a large urban setting. Dr. Dennis Mileti, July 16-20, 2007, focused on risk assessment.