Printable version (pdf)
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS - NDSU Campus
Issued: June 30, 2006
DEADLINE: NOON, September 6, 2006
TO: Faculty in the Sciences, Engineering, and Mathematics
FROM: David R. Givers, Interim Co-Project Director, NDSU
RE: Infrastructure Improvement Program – Seed Grants (IIP-SG)
ND EPSCoR invites proposals from individual, tenure/tenure-track faculty in sciences, engineering, and mathematics who will initiate a research program in one or more areas supported by the National Science Foundation. Only one proposal per PI is allowed.
Proposals are due in the ND EPSCoR Office 12 noon Wednesday, September 6, 2006. Awards will be announced on or about October 6, 2006. Awards can be made for $10,000 to $20,000 for up to 7 months.
Clarification Notice: The award period will be effective from October 1, 2006 to April 30, 2007.
ND EPSCoR anticipates making 5-10 awards. Award recipients will be required to submit proposals on the ND EPSCoR-funded project to NSF by September 1, 2007.
1. Proposals will be reviewed externally. The NDSU ND EPSCoR Co-Chair and Co-Project Director will select an ad hoc review committee, which will make recommendations for funding to the Co-Chair and Co-Project Director.
2. All applicants must provide an alphabetized list of 8 to 10 potential reviewers (including full names, addresses, fax, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses) exclusive of prior mentors or collaborators (including former students and postdoctoral associates). Additional referees with appropriate expertise may be consulted to aid the review process. Failure to submit this list could possibly prevent the evaluation of a proposal.
3. A portion of funds will be targeted for faculty with active research programs, a recent history of submitting proposals (previous two years being most relevant), did not receive renewal funding within the previous two years, and unable to fund existing graduate student assistantship commitment(s).
4. Individuals who contact their reviewers regarding the proposals will be disqualified and not eligible for funding.
Primary evaluation criteria:
1. Scientific and technical merits of the proposed research.
2. Potential for submitting competitive research proposals to NSF by September 1, 2007.
Other evaluation criteria include but are not limited to:
• The potential to contribute to the education of future scientists, engineers, and mathematicians.
• Level of prior support from ND EPSCoR.
Check List Requirements.
Deliver the following directly to the ND EPSCoR office Suite 142, R-1.
Proposal Hard Copies: NDSU Proposal Transmittal Form is not required.
• Original + 7 (all copies stapled).
• Alphabetized list of potential reviewers as a separate attachment with Original only. See key point 2 above.
Proposal Electronic Copy: Send complete proposal, as a single PDF file, to email@example.com.
ND EPSCoR may refuse to review any proposal that does not comply with checklist
Submit in the Following Order:
• ND EPSCoR Cover page−Available from ND EPSCoR Web. (See below)
• Executive Summary−Distinct from the project description. One page limit.
• Project Description−No more than 8 double-spaced, one-sided pages, margins ≥ 1”, ≥ a 10-point font.
• References cited.
• Facilities and equipment description only if relevant to the proposed research. No more than one page.
• CV−NSF style. Two page limit. Include current and pending support and list of collaborators within last four years (students, post docs, and advisor).
• NSF style budget sheet available from ND EPSCoR Web (See below) and budget justification. Travel expenses cannot exceed $1,000. Indirect costs not allowed. Equipment purchases not allowed.