REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS — UND CAMPUS
IIP SEED GRANT INITIATIVE
ISSUED: October 8, 2009
DEADLINE: NOON, December 1, 2009
TO: Faculty in the Sciences, Engineering, and Mathematics
FROM: Mark R. Hoffmann, ND EPSCoR Co-Project Director
Assistant Vice President for Research & Economic Development
RE: ND EPSCoR—UND CAMPUS IIP SEED GRANT INITIATIVE
ND EPSCoR—UND Campus invites proposals from individual, tenure/tenure-track faculty in sciences, engineering, and mathematics for research that will result in a traditional, single-PI proposal to the National Science Foundation. Only one proposal per PI is allowed.
Proposals are due in the ND EPSCoR Office by 12 noon Tuesday, December 1, 2009. Awards will be announced on or about February 1, 2010. The effective award dates are from March 1, 2010 to August 31, 2011. Awards can be made for up to $40,000. ND EPSCoR at UND anticipates making 5 awards. Award recipients will be required to submit proposals on the ND EPSCoR-funded project to NSF by the first divisional submission window after the end of the award.
1. Proposals will be reviewed externally and recommendations will be made for funding to an ad hoc internal panel.
2. Proposals from beginning researchers and from mid-career researchers who are exploring new directions will be prioritized. Conversely, proposals from faculty who have existing funding in the proposed topic (or have closely related funding) will normally not be considered.
Primary evaluation criteria:
1. Scientific and technical merits of the proposed research.
2. Potential for submitting competitive research proposals to NSF within or shortly after the award period.
3. Transformative nature of the proposal.
Allowed budget items:
1. Graduate student stipend. The Graduate School will provide up to 18 credits of tuition waiver for Ph.D. students working under the direction of the PI.
2. Travel limited to $1,500 each for PI and graduate student.
3. Supplies and small equipment.
Disallowed budget items:
1. Faculty salary.
2. Major equipment (i.e., in excess of $5K).
Check List Requirements. Deliver the following directly to the ND EPSCoR office, Twamley Hall 415
Proposal Hard Copies: UND Proposal Transmittal Form is not required.
• Original + 4 (all copies stapled).
Proposal Electronic Copy: Send complete proposal, as a single PDF file, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Proposals that do not comply with the checklist will be returned without review.
Submit in the Following Order:
• ND EPSCoR Cover page−Available from www.ndepscor.nodak.edu
• Executive Summary−Distinct from the project description. One page limit.
• Project Description−No more than 8 double-spaced, one-sided pages, margins ≥ 1”, ≥ 10-point font.
• References cited.
• Facilities and equipment description relevant to the proposed research. No more than one page.
• CV−NSF style. Two page limit. Must include list of collaborators, including students and postdocs, within the last five years, and a list of Ph.D. and postdoc mentors.
• NSF-style Current and Pending Support form.
• NSF-style Budget Sheet available from www.ndepscor.nodak.edu and one-page narrative budget justification.
Please direct questions to Mark R. Hoffmann at 701.777.2492 or email@example.com
For information about ND EPSCoR and other funding opportunities, please visit the Web site at www.ndepscor.nodak.edu