ND NASA EPSCoR
ND NASA EPSCoR TRAVEL OPPORTUNITIES
FUNDS AVAILABLE: Approximately $20,000
Issued: December 10, 2010
Deadline: Noon, March 2, 2011
TO: NDSU and UND Faculty in Sciences, Engineering and Mathematics
FROM: Dr. Santhosh Seelan, Director, North Dakota NASA EPSCoR
RE: ND NASA EPSCoR Travel Opportunities
North Dakota NASA EPSCoR is currently soliciting travel proposals from University of North Dakota (UND) and North Dakota State University (NDSU) faculty in the physical sciences, engineering, and mathematics. Travel requests should facilitate one of the following interactions with NASA: 1) foster direct collaborative research with personnel at one or more NASA field centers or facilities, 2) conduct preliminary research in support of a future non-NASA EPSCoR research proposal, 3) to attend a NASA-related conference and present a paper, and 4) to fund graduate student participation in one of the above three activities.
Awards require a 1:0.4 non-federal match from the PI, meaning, the PI must supply $0.4 in match for every $1 from ND NASA EPSCoR. Acceptable sources of match include cash. No other sources of match are allowed. Match can only be applied to the time period of the travel and related activities. Non-travel items will not be funded via this RFP. All awards require an end-of-year award report to be filed with the ND EPSCoR office. The goal of this NASA EPSCoR funding is to make award recipients nationally competitive for future, non-EPSCoR research solicitations. The sources of funds for these awards are NASA and ND cost share. Travel funds will be available beginning April 16, 2011 (or July 1, 2011 where state funds are awarded), and must be spent no later than April 15, 2012. We anticipate up to 3 or 4 awards at each campus.
If the PI has concurrently submitted a seed research proposal to ND NASA EPSCoR, then the travel grant can be used to support the seed research proposal. This must be clearly indicated in the travel grant proposal.
1. A cover page that lists principal investigator (PI) contact information, amount of award, department chair signature, and a statement that the PI has/has not received ND NASA EPSCoR funding since April 16, 2010. Use the Cover Sheet at: http://www.ndsu.edu/epscor/rfps/documents/NdNasaTravelCovSheetForm10.pdf
2. A 2-3 page detailed description of the proposed travel, its relevance to NASA, and how the travel will benefit or facilitate the PI’s research activities.
3. Name and contact information of collaborating NASA researcher(s), if any.
4. A detailed budget. Use the Budget Summary form at this web site: http://www.ndsu.edu/epscor/rfps/documents/NASAbudgetsumform10.pdf
5. Include a one-page budget narrative along with the Budget Summary that itemizes, describes, and justifies each budget item. Include a separate, more detailed budget, if necessary. A signed proposal transmittal form is not required from either campus unless so indicated in a subsequent award letter.
6. If applicable, include a statement describing how a graduate student will benefit from this travel.
Original and two stapled copies of proposals are due in to your campus ND EPSCoR office by noon, March 2, 2011. Also, an electronic submission of the proposal as a single, unlocked PDF attachment must be sent to Carla Kellner at email@example.com
A one-page report is due at the end of the travel via email to Carla. Please attach a copy to the travel reimbursement voucher when submitting to your campus ND EPSCoR office.
Questions regarding this announcement can be addressed to Santhosh Seelan, Director, ND NASA EPSCoR firstname.lastname@example.org 701-777-2355 or Carla Kellner email@example.com 701-777-2492. Visit the ND NASA EPSCoR web site for more information: www.ndnasaepscor.space.edu