GENERAL EDUCATION COMMITTEE
Academic Year 2014-2015
|Name||Representation Unit||Phone||Term Expires|
|Amy Rupiper Taggart||Office of the Provost, Assessment Director (Chair)||email@example.com||Ex-officio|
|Beth Twomey||NDSU Librariesfirstname.lastname@example.org||Ex-officio|
|Connie Eggers||Professional Adviser Liaisonemail@example.com||Ex-officio|
|RaNelle Ingalls||Registration & Recordsfirstname.lastname@example.org||Ex-officio|
|Larry Peterson||University Assessment Officeemail@example.com||Ex-officio|
|Michael Christoffers||Ag., Food Systems, & Natural Resourcesfirstname.lastname@example.org||May 2016|
|Dale Sullivan||Arts, Humanities & Social Sciencesemail@example.com||May 2017|
|Joe Mike Jones||Businessfirstname.lastname@example.org||May 2014|
|David Wells||Engineeringemail@example.com||May 2017|
|Justin Wageman||Human Development & Educationfirstname.lastname@example.org||May 2016|
|Chengwen Sun||Pharmacy, Nursing, & Allied Sciencesemail@example.com||May 2017|
|Robert Gordon||Science & Mathematicsfirstname.lastname@example.org||May 2017|
|Quincy Carter||Studentemail@example.com||May 2015|
|Jake Lynch||Studentfirstname.lastname@example.org||May 2015|
Committee Meeting Schedule
Meetings are scheduled for Wednesdays at 1:30 in the Peace Garden Room of the Memorial Union (unless otherwise noted).
|September 12, 2014||Minutes|
|October 10, 2014||Minutes|
|November 14, 2014||Minutes|
|December 12, 2014||Minutes|
|January 14, 2015||Minutes|
|January 28, 2015 *(Mandan Room)|
|February 11, 2015|
|February 25, 2015|
|March 11, 2015|
|March 25, 2015|
|April 8, 2015|
|April 22, 2015|
|May 6, 2015|
Faculty Senate Bylaws: Article IV, Section 10
- Voting membership shall consist of one tenured faculty member from each representation unit, a representative from the Assessment Committee, and two students selected by the Student Government.
- Non-voting members shall consist one representative from each of the following: the NDSU Library, Registration and Records, the professional advisers (at least 50% of load is advising), and the Provost (or designee). There is no term limit for non-voting members.
- Committee responsibilities include:
- Ensuring that existing courses and experiences meet general education requirements.
- Developing criteria and procedures for submitting, evaluating, and approving courses and experiences that meet general education requirements of NDSU and the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Developing criteria and procedures for submitting, evaluating, and approving courses or experiences that meet the general education requirements for integration into students’ curricula.
- Coordinating and recommending actions to the Faculty Senate on proposals for approving general education courses.
- Providing periodic assessment of students’ attainment of intended student outcomes in general education.
- Studying, coordinating, and recommending to the Faculty Senate policies and procedures for continuing improvement in general education.
- Selecting two representatives and one alternate for the North Dakota General Education Council.
General Education Program
The purpose of general education at NDSU is to ensure that students acquire knowledge, perspectives, and skills associated with a university education. The program is designed so that graduates will be able to adapt to and anticipate changes in their profession and in society. Graduates also will be able to integrate and use the knowledge and perspectives they have gained to live productive, intellectually rewarding, and meaningful lives.
Intended Student Outcomes:
- Communicate effectively in a variety of contexts and formats.
- Locate and use information for making appropriate personal and professional decisions.
- Comprehend the concepts and perspectives needed to function in national and international societies.
- Comprehend intra personal and interpersonal dynamics.
- Comprehend concepts and methods of inquiry in science and technology, and their applications for society.
- Integrate knowledge and ideas in a coherent and meaningful manner.
- Comprehend the need for lifelong learning.
- Core Undergraduate Learning Experience (CULE)
- Courses Approved for General Education Requirements
- General Education Proposals and Five-Year Review Information:
- Administrative Policies
- Forms - New Courses, Revised Courses, Five-Year Review
- Rubrics for General Education Outcomes
- Syllabi Requirements
- Upper Division Writing Requirements
- Working Definitions and Essential Considerations for General Education