NORTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY
- FARGO, N D
THE "FARGO FLOOD"
|Red River of the North flood at Fargo, April, 1897.
- Flood Information for Fargo - The geology of Red River flooding, flood stages vs. geographic locations, plus a photographic archive of historic Red River floods (including 2013). See also the 2013 Minnesota Public Radio interactive photo site.
- Fargo Geology - Information on the geology of Fargo and the Red River Valley, including comprehensive maps presenting land stability conditions along the Red River corridor in Fargo.
- Flood Hydrographs - Daily and hourly changes in level and discharge for the Red River of the North at Fargo.
Red River Basin Gages - Interactive map with symbols and labels for the stream gages on the Red River plus a few more. Click a symbol, and a window will open that links to the most recent USGS flow data at that gage. The link will work in most browsers on most devices from smartphones to tablets to desktops. (Courtesy of Joseph Elfelt, Redmond, WA and www.MappingSupport.com).
112-Year Plot of Mean Daily Flow - Historic overview of daily discharge for the Red River of the North: 1900 to February, 2012. Note the historic discharges occurring this winter. A detailed chart for the past decade emphasizing (with lavender color) days in flood is available here. Data are "preliminary," subject to change. (Courtesy of Rick Koehler, NOAA/NWS, Boulder, CO).
111-Year Plot of Peak Annual Discharge - Historic overview of when the peak discharge occurs each year for the Red River of the North: 1900 to 2011. Note the increasing levels of discharge in recent years, and the "double-bell curve" distributions for the peaks (i.e. either in March/April or in June). Data are "preliminary," subject to change. (Courtesy of Rick Koehler, NOAA/NWS, Boulder, CO).
Red River Stage at Fargo, ND - NOAA/NWS graphic showing current and stage forecasts. Updated hourly.
- Animation of 2013 River Stage Changes - Animation of Red River stages at Fargo versus the NOAA/NWS stage forecasts from above source April 12 to present. Courtesy of Ray Sterner, Applied Physics Laboratory, Johns Hopkins University
- Animations of 2009, 2010, and 2011 river stage changes.
Flood Gage Data for Fargo, North Dakota - Hourly listing of data from the river gage at the Fargo Water Treatment Plant, 13th Avenue South, Fargo.
Snow Cover - NOAA's interactive snow cover information for the Red River Valley region.
- Animation of 2013 Snow Cover Change - March 14 to present, using the NOAA imagery from the above source. Animation courtesy of Ray Sterner, Applied Physics Laboratory, Johns Hopkins University.
- Animations of 2009, 2010, and 2011 snow cover changes.
AVHRR Satellite Imagery of 2013 Flood - Imagery of the Red River Valley region processed from NOAA AVHRR satellite data. Updated several times daily. Courtesy of Ray Sterner, Applied Physics Laboratory, Johns Hopkins University.
Fargo-Moorhead Flood Information
Flood Resources for the Public:
Red River Basin LiDAR Viewer - Interface for viewing/working with LiDAR-based elevational data. LiDAR data for the Red River Basin can be downloaded at this portal.
Red River Basin Flood Planning Map - A one-stop tool for flood extents, forecast displays, etc.
InForum - News and information on flooding in the Red River Valley.
Before-&-After Photos of 2013 Red River Flood - Interactive photo site, hosted by Minnesota Public Radio. Click on each photo for the "after" equivalent.
Before-&-After Photos of Moorhead Home Buy-Outs - Interactive photo site, hosted by Minnesota Public Radio. Click on each photo for the "after" equivalent.
Official City Web Sites:
National Weather Service:
The Fargo Flood Homepage is provided in public service by North Dakota State University. This web resource, in continuous operation since 1997, is focused on access to scientific, geographic, and historic information to assist the public in better understanding the nature of flooding in this region. The hydrographs and automated water level are courtesy of Nem Schlecht. We welcome your comments.
Updated: May 6, 2013