Edwin Fissinger Choral Composition Prizes
NDSU School of Music honors the legacy and traditions of noted choral composer and long-time NDSU choral conductor Edwin Fissinger with its annual choral composition competition.
The Edwin Fissinger Choral Composition Prizes will be awarded to the first and second place winners.
- Score submission: The 2013 deadline has passed.
- Announcement of winners: June 1, 2013
- Premiere of winning composition: October 2013
- Application fee: $25 per composition entered (a check made payable to North Dakota State University) must accompany the submission. Or pay online at NDSU Marketplace.
Entries should be:
- for mixed choir (SATB).
- unaccompanied, or with keyboard accompaniment.
- three to five minutes in length.
- original, not previously performed publicly, and unpublished. The text may be sacred or secular, either in the public domain or copyrighted, as long as a letter of permission from the copyright owner is included with the submission.
- suitable for an accomplished high school or university choir.
- Open to all composers with the exception of current NDSU faculty, staff, and students.
- Prior winners may enter only after five years.
- First: $1000
- Second: $500
- NDSU reserves the right to not award prizes in a given year.
The composer of the first prize work must be present at the premiere performance. NDSU will reimburse actual travel, lodging and food expenses up to a maximum of $750.
- Winners will be announced at www.ndsu.edu/finearts/fissinger/index by June 1, 2013.
- The first prize winner will receive a contract from Pavane Publishing to place their composition in the Jo Ann Miller Choral Series. The second prize piece will be considered for publication.
- Jo Ann Miller, Choral Activities, NDSU
- Michael Weber, Choral Activities, NDSU
- Charlette Moe, Choral Activities, NDSU
- Dale Warland, Dale Warland Singers
- Allan Petker, Pavane Publishing
- Include name, address, phone number(s), email address, and social security number in a sealed envelope accompanying the score.
- Names or other identifying elements must not appear on the score.
- Size of manuscript must not exceed 8 1/2 inches by 14 inches.
- Submitted scores must be in Finale or Sibelius.
- A midi file is encouraged with the submission, but is not required.
- All scores selected for performance will be reproduced by NDSU and all copies destroyed after the premiere performance.
- No scores will be returned unless a self-addressed mailer and postage are provided.
- No electronic submissions. Submissions must be postmarked by May 1, 2013.
- Mail submissions to:
Jo Ann Miller, Director of Choral Activities
North Dakota State University
School of Music
P.O. Box 6050
Fargo, ND 58108-6050