Prospective Music Major Students
The School of Music provides a comprehensive, rigorous, and innovative academic program consistent with the mission of NDSU. The school serves the pursuit of high-quality teaching, artistic performance, dedicated service, and professional and scholarly excellence through experiences of lasting value.
The School of Music is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
- Please refer to specific guidelines listed by each instrument:
- The audition panel may only hear 2-5 minutes of selected repertoire, but please prepare individual selections in their entirety ((i.e.) complete study/movement) unless specifically requested by the instructor of your discipline.
- Piano accompaniment is optional.
- Please provide your own sheet music.
- Two pieces, both memorized, are required for the voice audition. Both can be in English and one may be in a foreign language if you choose. If auditioning with classical repertoire, try to select materials that show both MUSICALITY (usually SLOW) and TECHNIQUE (usually FAST). If your selection does not show both, choose a second piece or excerpt to perform within the ten-minute time limit.
- NDSU Concert Choir, Madrigal Singers and the University Chamber Singers are auditioned choirs. Auditions are typically held at the end of each semester and/or during the summer. To schedule an audition for the choirs above, please email Dr. Jo Ann Miller at email@example.com.
- Statesmen (a men’s choir) and cantemus (a women’s choir) are non-auditioned. You may register online.
- Auditions for Concert Choir, Madrigal Singers and University Chamber Singers require one prepared solo. An accompanist will be provided. If you don’t have a prepared solo, you will be asked to sing America the Beautiful. Please prepare your part for Never Weather-beaten Sail by Thomas Campion, ed. Steve Jones. There will also be some vocalizing; ear-training and sight singing exercises.
- Please see information on ensembles.
Students of any other major:
Step 4: Apply for School of Music scholarships.
Dr. Jeremy Brekke, High Brass
Dr. Andrew Froelich, Piano and Academic Studies
Dr. Robert W. Groves, Piano and Academic Studies
Dr. Sigurd Johnson, Director of Athletic Bands and Percussion
Dr. Robert J. Jones, Voice and Opera
Dr. Cecilia Kang, Clarinet
Dr. Kyle Mack, Low Brass and Director of Jazz Studies
Dr. Jo Ann Miller, Director of Choral Activities
Dr. John Miller, Director of the Division of Fine Arts
Dr. Charlette Moe, Coordinator M.M. Ed Program
Dr. Katherine Noone, Voice and Musical Theatre
Dr. Warren Olfert, Director of Bands
Dr. Matthew Patnode, Saxophone and Woodwinds
Dr. Virginia Sublett, Voice and Opera
Dr. Michael Weber, Choral Activities
Adjunct FacultyAllison Burggraff, Violin
Dr. Christina Chen-Beyers, Oboe and University Symphony Orchestra
Michael Coates, Classical Guitar
Michael Helm, Jazz Piano
Tim Hoffelt, Jazz Guitar
Sue Nagel, Class Piano and Instrumental Accompanist Coordinator
Doug Neill, Tuba and Bass
Dr. Annett Richter, Musicology
Jenny Poehls, Flute
Sarah Prigge, Class Piano and Music Academy Coordinator
Steve Stine, Guitar
Sebastian Tackling, Bassoon
Erik Vigesaa, Horn
You May Also Be Interested in the Following: