Content | Navigation |

Graduate School


The purpose of this bulletin is to provide information about the graduate programs of North Dakota State University. It should not be considered an offer or a contract. While every effort has been made to make this information as complete and accurate as possible, it should be noted that changes may occur at any time in the requirements, course offerings, fees, etc. listed in this bulletin. However, students are allowed to meet the degree requirements in effect at the time of first enrollment as a degree-seeking student, provided the student is able to complete the degree requirements reflected in the appropriate bulletin within the stated time frame and the student has maintained continuous enrollment status.

It is the responsibility of the student to be familiar with and complete the requirements for the degree being sought.

North Dakota Residency Guidelines

The North Dakota Century Code, Section 15-10-19.1, governs determination of residency for tuition purposes.

A North Dakota resident student, for tuition purposes, is defined as follows:

  1. A person whose guardian, custodial parent, or parents are legal residents of this state and have resided in this state for 12 months, or a dependent child whose custodial parent moved into the state with the intent to establish legal residency for a period of years within the last 12 months immediately prior to the beginning of the academic term;
  2. A person of age 18 or older who is a legal resident of this state and has resided in this state after reaching age 18 for 12 months immediately prior to the beginning of the academic term;
  3. A person who graduated from a North Dakota high school;
  4. A full-time active duty member of the armed forces or a member of a North Dakota national guard unit;
  5. A spouse or dependent of a full-time active duty member of the armed forces or a member of a North Dakota national guard unit;
  6. A spouse or dependent of a benefited employee of any North Dakota University System institution;
  7. a spouse of a resident for tuition purposes.
  8. Any other person who was a legal resident of this state for at least three consecutive years within six years of the beginning of the academic term, or
  9. A child, spouse, widow, or widower of a veteran who was killed in action or died from wounds or other service-connected causes, was totally disabled as a result of service-connected causes, died from service-connected disabilities, was a prisoner of war, or was declared missing in action.

Note: Dependent means only a person claimed as a dependent on the most recent federal tax return.

*The application for resident student status can be found at (click on forms link). The application is due prior to the start of the academic term that the student is applying for resident tuition status.

Minnesota Tuition Reciprocity

Minnesota residents should apply for reciprocity at the following Web address:

Once reciprocity has been granted by the State of Minnesota, students should print a confirmation letter from the Web site and submit it to the NDSU Office of Registration and Records, 110 Ceres. Tuition will be reduced accordingly.

Residency issues must be resolved by the last day of classes of the first session the student attends. Refunds will not be processed retroactively.

Note: Returning students who have previously filed for tuition reciprocity but have not enrolled in a course or earned credit at NDSU during the past year will need to re-file.

Other Fees

A variety of fees are applied to special services. Some of the most common include:

Application fee

Non-refundable application fee-$35

Residence Hall reservation deposit

Deposit is applied toward student's account - $50

Family student apartment deposit

Deposit is applied toward student's account - $200

Parking permits

All NDSU employees and students are assessed fees to park in University lots. For further information, contact the Campus Police (701-231-8998).

Photo ID

Original and replacement of lost cards is $20 per card. All students must have an NDSU photo identification card. Student identification cards may be purchased at the Memorial Union's Bison Card Center. (The student ID card allows use of the library facilities as well as attendance of NDSU athletic events.)

Course or Class Fees

Courses or classes that have additional fees will have the amount listed under Class Notes in the Class Sections Detail on Campus Connection.

Student Health Service fees

Payment of student registration fees entitles a student to the basic services of the Student Health Service. Additional fees are charged for medications, certain studies, and additional services according to rates maintained and available at the clinic.

Distance Education fees

Please contact the Division of Distance and Continuing Education by phone 701-231-7015 or

Course audit

The course audit (not for credit) fee is 50% of the regular tuition charge.

Diploma replacement

The Office of Registration and Records provides a replacement service for those who have lost or damaged their diploma for a fee of $25.

Completion Package

A completion fee of $200 is charged to all master's students who are completing a thesis or paper. The fee covers the costs for

  • Completing the format and quality check of the disquisition.
  • Binding 5 copies of the thesis or paper.
  • Title inscription on the spine of the bound thesis or paper (if possible).
  • Shipping up to 2 bound copies of the disquisition.
  • Processing of graduation and commencement information.
  • Workshops and consultation services for writing the thesis/paper.

A completion fee of $250 is charged to all doctoral students who are completing a dissertation. The fee covers the costs for

  • Completing the format and quality check of the disquisition.
  • Binding 5 copies of the dissertation.
  • Title inscription on the spine of the bound dissertation (if possible).
  • Shipping up to bound 2 copies of the disquisition.
  • Microfilming the dissertation.
  • Processing of graduation and commencement information.
  • Workshops and consultation services for writing the dissertation.

Additional bound copies of the disquisition are available at a cost of $20 per copy.

Students who are not required to complete a disquisition will be assessed a $25 graduation processing fee.

Medical Insurance for Domestic Students

A student group accident and sickness insurance plan is available to all graduate and undergraduate students of North Dakota University System institutions, including North Dakota State University.

The insurance plan is available to students and their dependents. The coverage is designed to provide benefits for medical expenses arising from an accident or illness including those that occur off campus and during interim vacations. Any questions about the policy should be directed to Vaaler Insurance, Inc,  (701) 775-3131.

The policy is administered by Student Assurance Services, Inc., P.O. Box 196, Stillwater, MN 55082. Most of the benefit dollar amounts are described as Usual and Customary Charges. The medical benefits are for basic injury and sickness (inpatient, outpatient, and other), benefits mandated by North Dakota law, and accidental death and dismemberment.

Annual premiums are available at Premiums can be paid for just one of the three academic sessions or for the combination of Spring and Summer Sessions.

The detailed information can be obtained from the NDSU Student Health Service, Wellness Center, phone: (701) 231-7331.

Required Medical Insurance for International Students

International students are required by the North Dakota State Board of Higher Education to purchase the Board approved health insurance policy before they are allowed to register. No other policy may be substituted. The fee for health insurance for one year must be paid upon arrival and at the beginning of each subsequent year. Because of the increasing cost of health care in the United States, health insurance for a student's spouse and accompanying dependents is highly recommended and is included in the estimate of expenses for accompanying dependents. In addition, the state of North Dakota requires proof of immunity to measles, mumps, and rubella prior to registration for courses.

Contact the Office of International Programs by phone at (701) 231-7895 or by e-mail:, for the details of the international graduate student group policy.

Federal Financial Aid

Students applying for federal aid must be 1) a citizen or eligible non-citizen of the United States with a valid Social Security number, 2) enrolled in an eligible program as a regular student seeking a degree or certificate, 3) registered for a minimum number of credits during each term aid is received, 4) making satisfactory progress toward the completion of a course of study, and 5) current in repayment of previous federal loans. Students owing a refund on a Pell or Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant are not eligible for federal student assistance.

Financial Aid for International Students

Many students from other nations inquire about financial aid. Local fellowships or free tuition are not ordinarily available to international students. All international students must demonstrate adequate funding for the duration of the graduate program; an assistantship can be part of this funding. For information regarding estimated expenses, please see the Office of International Programs page.

International students with outstanding ability are encouraged to apply. If the applicant requires an assistantship, the individual should submit an application for graduate school to the Graduate School and a separate inquiry to the major department. Such appointments usually are made before April 15.

North Dakota State University has established a process for verifying communication skills for all personnel whose appointments include classroom instruction. These policies as they apply to graduate students maybe found elsewhere on this website.

Teaching or Research Assistantships

A number of well-qualified graduate students, upon recommendation from the department concerned, are employed either as teaching or research assistants by most academic departments of the university. Inquiries should be directed to the appropriate department chair(s). Tuition is waived for individuals officially appointed as research or teaching assistants who meet all requirements. Student activity fees are not waived.

Regular scholarships for graduate students are limited. Interested graduate students should contact the dean of their college and/or their department chair regarding scholarships available within their discipline.

Student Focused. Land Grant. Research University.

Follow NDSU
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • RSS
  • Google Maps

NDSU Graduate School
Phone: +1 (701) 231-7033
Campus address:  106 Putnam Hall
Physical/delivery address:  NDSU Graduate School/106 Putnam Hall/1349 12th Avenue Northwest/Fargo, ND 58102
Mailing address:  NDSU Dept. 2820/PO Box 6050/Fargo, ND 58108
Page manager: NDSU Graduate School

Last Updated: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:14:48 PM