Research Projects 2009-2010
During the 2009-2010 year, the College of Human Development and Education saw an increase in the participation of faculty in grant and research work. Some highlights of the year are listed here, and a list of presentations, publications, and funded projects for the year is presented below.
Grants & Contracts. Twenty HDE faculty members (34% of tenured/tenure track faculty) received funds from external grants and contracts in 2009-10 by serving as principle investigators or co-investigators. The approximate grant/contract dollars available for use during this year was $4,854,230. This includes funds awarded this year for use during this year ($2,071,564) and funds used this year awarded in multi-year projects funded in previous years ($2,782,564). HDE Extension faculty funding and funding received by HDE faculty in collaboration with persons outside the College of Human Development and Education were included.
Refereed Publications. Thirty-eight (66%) tenured/tenure-track faculty members published refereed journal articles (36) or abstracts/proceedings (4 additional) in 09/10; a slight increase over the 34 faculty (64%) who published the previous year and the highest total in the past nine years. Whereas the increase in the percentage of faculty publishing was slight, the number of publications increased considerably from 40 refereed articles/refereed proceedings in 2008-2009 to 69 (48 refereed journal articles; 21 refereed proceedings) in 2009-2010. This was again the highest total over the last nine years. This number represents .83 refereed articles published per tenured or tenure-track faculty member and a 1.3 publication average for faculty who had at least one article published. A total of 26 other refereed articles, book chapters and proceedings were also published by 19 (33%) tenured/tenure-track faculty members. Of the faculty who published other refereed publications, the publication rate was 1.4 per faculty member.
Other Publications. Other publications included extension publications, newsletters, popular articles, book reviews and invited publications. A total of 68 “other” publications were published in 2009-2010. These publications include many Extension program newsletters, news releases, and education programs.
Presentations. Faculty members presented 80 refereed papers at international (16 in six countries) and national (64) meetings. A total of 45 faculty members (78%) presented at national or international meetings. Faculty members also presented a total of 86 refereed and invited presentations at regional, state, and local meetings. Graduate students have been increasingly active in research activities. Fourteen graduate students or recent graduates were involved in 13 presentations at national/international meetings. Most of these were co-presented with faculty members. In addition, 16 graduate students or recent graduates were co-authors on 16 refereed journal articles.
Apparel, Design and Hospitality Management
Publications - Refereed:
- Cross, E., Asperin, A.E., & Nettles, M.F. (2009). Competency-based performance appraisals: Improving performance evaluations of school nutrition managers and assistants/technicians. Journal of Child Nutrition & Management,33(2), from http://www.schoolnutrition.org/Content.aspx?id=13231 [Winter 2009].
- Lee, J. & Johnson, K.K.P. (2010). Relative and interaction effects of situational and personal factors on impulse buying. Journal of Global Fashion Marketing.1(1), 30-39.
- Phillips, W. & Jang, S.C. (2010). Destination Image Differences between Visitors and Non-Visitors: A Case of New York City, International Journal of Tourism Research. 12(4).
- Jennings, G., Scantlebury, M., & Wolfe, K. (2009). Tertiary travel and tourism education: Using action research cycles to provide information on pedagogical applications associated with reflexivity, team-based learning and communities of practice. Journal of Teaching in Travel & Tourism, 9 (3), 193-215. Note: authors are listed alphabetical, because all contributed equally.
PUBLICATIONS - Other:
- LBraaten, A. (2009) A Company Revealed Through Its Patterns: Hastings Needle Work, 1888-1923. Costume Society of America’s Midwest Region Symposium Proceedings, October 9-10, 2009, Lincoln, Nebraska.
- Phillips, W., Jang S.C., & Canter, D.D. Senior Casino Gaming Motivation, Proceedings of 2009 International Council on Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education (I-CHIRE) Conference, 29 July – 1 August, 2009, San Francisco, California.
- Phillips, W., & Jang S. Senior Casino Gaming Intention: Testing Extended Theory of Planned Behavior. Proceedings of 2009 Asia Pacific Tourism Association (APTA) Conference, July 9-12, 2009, Inchon, South Korea.
- Wolfe, K. (2009) The Relationship of Emotional Intelligence and Job Satisfaction of Hotel Employees. International CHRIE 64th Annual Conference. E Christou (Ed.). Richmond, Virginia. ICHRIE.
- Wolfe, Hodur, Leistritz. (2009). Are all heritage and cultural visitors of equal value? International CHRIE 64th Annual Conference. E Christou (Ed.). Richmond, Virginia. ICHRIE
Human Development and Family Science
Grants and Contracts:
- Query, S., Young, B., & Hauge, L. North Dakota 4-H SET for the Future Sustaining Community Project, CREES CYFAR; 7/1/2009 – 6/31/2010; $99,856
- Query, S., Harrington, B., & Hauge, L. North Dakota & Minnesota 4-H After School Training, National 4-H Council & MetLife Foundation; 1/8/2010-12/31/2010. $13,500.
- Sanders, G. Research support for PATH North Dakota. PATH ND. August 2009 through May 2010. Total=$32,640.
- Carlson, T. (PI) and McGeorge, C. (Co-PI) The equal opportunity therapy project II: Serving our Latino community. Otto Bremer Foundation. $150,000 (over three years). Final Year.
- Sanders, G.F. & Fitzgerald, M.A. Long-term Care Worker Training on Mental Health and Aging. $23,771.00 from the North Dakota Department of Human Services, Division of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services. Role: Co-PI.
- Fitzgerald, M.A. & Sanders, G. F. Continuation of the North Dakota Mental Health and Aging Clinical and Natural Caregiver Education Projects. $29,196.00 from the North Dakota Department of Human Services, Division of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services. Role: PI.
- Hektner, J. Pilot test of adapted intervention to prevent youth violence. Grant from National Institute of Mental Health, 2007-2010. $577,125 total costs funded. ($96,187 in 2009-2010.)
- Pankow, D. Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), (January 2008 – December 2009). Online Investment Education for Farm Households, $449,505. Collaborators: Michael Lambur, Ph.D., eXtension Evaluation and Research Leader, and Professor, Department of Agricultural and Extension Education, Virginia Tech; Barbara O'Neill, Ph.D., CFP, Professor and Extension Specialist, Financial Resource Management, Rutgers University, New Jersey, and Key Word Team Leader, Financial Security for All Community of Practice ; Debra Pankow, Ph.D., Extension Family Economics Specialist, North Dakota State University, and Chair, Financial Security for All Community of Practice; Kevin J. Gamble, Ph.D., eXtension Associate Director, Information Technology, North Carolina State University; Terry Meisenbach, eXtension Communications and Marketing Leader; Bob Wells, Field Specialist, Farm Management, Iowa State University; Jennifer Jahedkar, Distance Education Coordinator, Texas Cooperative Extension Partners ; Jane Schuchardt, Ph.D., and Janie Hipp, J.D., National Program Leaders, CSREES, USDA
Publications - Refereed:
- Muske, G., Fitzgerald, M. A., Haynes, G., Black, M., Chin, L., MacClure, R., & Mashburn, A. (2009). The intermingling of family and business financial resources: Understanding the copreneurial couple. Journal of Financial Counseling and Planning, 20(2), 27-47. M. Black, L. Chin, R. MacClure & A. Mashburn are graduate students at Oklahoma State University
- Henke, T., Carlson, T.S., & McGeorge, C.R. (2009). Homophobia and clinical competency: An exploration of couple and family therapists’ beliefs. Journal of Couple and Relationship Therapy, 8(4), 325-342.
- Rock, M., Carlson, T. S., & McGeorge, C. R. (in press). Does Affirmative Training Matter?: Assessing CFT Students’ Beliefs about Sexual Orientation and Their Level of Affirmative Training. Journal of Marital & Family Therapy
- Fitzgerald, M. A., Chromy, B., Philbrick, C. A., Sanders, G. F., Muske, K. L., & Bratteli, M. (2009). The North Dakota mental health and aging education project: Curriculum design and training opportunities for a train-the-trainer model. Gerontology and Geriatrics Education, 30(2), 114-129.
- Niemeier, B. S., Tande, D. L., Hwang, J., Stastny, S., Hektner, J. M. (in press). Using education, exposure, and environments to increase preschool children’s knowledge about fruit and vegetables. Journal of Extension.
- Hektner, J. M. (2010). Experience sampling method. In N. Salkind (Ed.), Encyclopedia of research design. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Randall, B. A., Rotenberg, K. J., Totenhagen, C., Rock, M., & Harmon, C. (in press). A new scale for the assessment of adolescents’ trust beliefs. In K. J. Rotenberg (Ed.) Trust and trustworthiness during childhood and adolescence.
- Carlo, G., Randall, B. A., Rotenberg, K. J., & Armenta, B. (in press). Trusting others to help or helping others to trust? Examining the relations between trust and prosocial tendencies. In K. J. Rotenberg (Ed.) Trust and trustworthiness during childhood and adolescence.
- Grandbois, D., Madison-Jacobs, R. C. and Sanders, G. F. (2009). A Perspective of American Indian and Alaska Native Nurses. In H. Bessent (Ed.), Minority nurses in the new century. Monograph by H. Bessent.
- Bermúdez, J. M., Keeling, M., & Stone Carlson, T (2009). Using art to co-create preferred problem-solving narratives with Latino couples (pp. 319-344). In M. Rastogi and V. Thomas (Eds.) Multicultural couple therapy. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Publications - Other:
- Bjelde, K. (2009, July). Gambling among older adults in North Dakota (educational program package). North Dakota State University Extension Service, Fargo, North Dakota.
- Brotherson, S. (2010, April). Fathering for family health and fitness. Educational article in Eat Smart, Play Hard. Together Magazine, 2010-2011 Edition, pp 14-15. NDSU Extension Service, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND.
- Brotherson, S. (2009, December). Practical strategies in alcohol, tobacco and other drug prevention for young children. Extension Bulletin FS-1463. NDSU Extension Service, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND.
- Brotherson, S. (2009, December). Alcohol, tobacco and other drug prevention for young children. Extension Bulletin FS-1461. NDSU Extension Service, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND.
- Pankow, D., & Brotherson, S. (2009, October). Talking to children about money. Extension Bulletin FS-1441. NDSU Extension Service, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND.
- Brotherson, S. (2009, September). Family communication is critical in tough economic times. Educational article in Money Talk Magazine, 2009, pp. 8-11. NDSU Extension Service, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND.
- Brotherson, S. (2009, September). What young children learn through play. Extension Bulletin FS-1430. NDSU Extension Service, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND.
- Brotherson, S. (2009, August). Young children and the tools of play. Extension Bulletin FS-1429. NDSU Extension Service, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND.
- Brotherson, S. (2009, August). Young children and the importance of play. Extension Bulletin FS-1424. NDSU Extension Service, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND.
- Brotherson, S. (2009, August). Understanding depression in later life. Facilitator’s Guide, Family and Communication Education Club lesson materials, NDSU Extension Service, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND. (Available in both print format and on CD-ROM.)
- Brotherson, S. (2009, June). Tips and tools for selecting quality child care. Extension Bulletin FS-1417. NDSU Extension Service, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND.
- Brotherson, S. (2009, June). Developmentally appropriate child care and education for young children. Extension Bulletin FS-1413. NDSU Extension Service, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND.
- Brotherson, S. (2009, May). Dimensions of quality child care, Extension Bulletin FS-1408. NDSU Extension Service, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND.
- Brotherson, S. (2009, April). Child care issues and options, Extension Bulletin FS-674. NDSU Extension Service, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND.
- Brotherson, S. (2009). The big benefits of family meals. Feature article in Eat Smart, Play Hard. Together Magazine, 2009 Edition, pp. 6-8. NDSU Extension Service, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND
- Brotherson, S. E. (2010, April). Sexting. The Village Family Magazine, April/May 2010, Vol. 14 (No. 3), 38-39.
- Brotherson, S. E., Query, S., & Saxena, D. (2009, September). Gearing Up for Kindergarten: Project overview and year-end report for 2008-2009. Project and evaluation report prepared for United Way Foundation of Cass-Clay, North Dakota Parent Information Resource Center, and participant schools, Fargo, ND, September 2009.
- Brotherson, S. E. (2009, June). The changing face of fatherhood. The Village Family Magazine, June/July 2009, Vol. 13 (No. 3), 35-37.
- Brotherson, S. E. (2009, April). Aging, calcium, and bone health. The Village Family Magazine, April/May 2009, Vol. 13 (No. 2), 29-32.
- Brotherson, S. E. (2009, February). Art smarts: How kids benefit from exposure to creative arts. The Village Family Magazine, February/March 2009, Vol. 13 (No. 1), 17-22.
- Query, S. & McFadden, A. (2009) Gearing Up for Kindergarten. Parent Education, Preschool, and Coordinator Notebooks.
- Query, S. & Vettern, R. (2009) Wanna Be My Friend? The Ins and Outs of Social Networking.
School of Education
Grants and Contracts:
- Duffield, S. & Martin, W. (CoPIs) November 2009. Bush Foundation. Partnership grant in the Bush Teacher Preparation Consortium awarded to NDSU, VCSU, and MSUM with commitment through 2009-2020. Total commitment of $1,349,998 with potential performance based bonus in 2017 of $143,332)
- Martin, W. (PI). Collaborative proposal, Collaborative Research–Linear Algebra in New Environments (LINE), (primary PI Scott Dexter, Brooklyn College–CUNY) National Science Foundation $38,393.
- Martin, W. & Montplaisir L. (CoPIs). $743,516. Noyce Scholars: North Dakota Science and Mathematics Teacher Scholarship Program. 2009-2013.
- Wageman, Justin, J. (P.I.) North Dakota Consequential Validity Study, North Dakota Department of Public Instruction. November 23, 2009 – September 30, 2010. $53,479
- Wood, N. (CoPI) Broadening the Accessibility and Portability of Biology Animations– for NSF, Course Curriculum and Laboratory Improvement (CCLI) program (FY09), in collaboration with Phil McClain (PI), Brian Slator (Co PI), and Alan White (Co PI). Budget:$ 494,900 (3 years).
- Wood, N. (External Evaluator) Examining Coaching in Elementary Mathematics Classrooms (ECEMC) – for NSF, Discovery Research K-12 (DRK-12) program (FY09), in collaboration with David Yopp (PI), Beth Burroughs (Co PI), John Sutton (CoPI) and Marc Brodersen (Co PI). Evaluation budget:$269,983 (5 years).
- Vettern, R. National 4-H Council and Monsanto Volunteer Development Grant $2,000. National 4-H Council. 2010
- Vettern, R. National 4-H Council and Monsanto Volunteer Development. $2,000. National 4-H Council 2009
- Young, R. B. State Project Leader, North Dakota Science-in-CTE study, funded by the National research Center for Career and Technical Education and the North Dakota Department of Career and Technical Education. ($474,260 awarded 2009-2010)
- P.I.: Mari Borr, Co-P.I.: Brent Young, “North Dakota Math-in-CTE.” North Dakota Department of Career and Technical Education, 8/15/08 to 6/15/10, $234,927.
- Eighmy, M.A., Hall, T. & Schmidt, M.A. .Community-based abstinence education project evaluation – $251,868. (2007 – 2010). for First Choice Clinic, Fargo, ND. Funded by U.S. Department of Health and Human Education. Grant evaluation subcontract four-year award.
- Vettern, R. Leadership PLENTY Education Grant. $25,000 Northwest Area Foundation. (2003-Present)
- Query, S. & Vettern, R. Are You Ready? The College Transition. $30,000 NDSU Extension Director Special Projects Fund. 2009-present
- Wageman, Justin. J. (P.I.) North Dakota Curriculum Initiative, Year Ten, North Dakota Department of Public Instruction Duration of the Grant: July 1, 2009 – September 30, 2010 $264,365
- Young, R.B. Co-PI, North Dakota 4-H SET for the Future SCP, funded by Children, Youth, & Families at Risk Program. ($653,920 awarded 2009-2013)
Publications - Refereed:
- Borr, M. L., and Young, R. B. (2010). Retirement and attrition trends of Extension professionals in North Dakota. Journal of Extension [On-line].
- Borr, M. L. (in print). Thinking it over with Baby Think it Over: Thirteen freshmen’s weekend with an infant simulator. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal.
- Brown, J. & Hall, B. (2009). Exploring intimate partner communication in military couples: Implications for counselors. Compelling Counseling Interventions: Vistas 2009, 55-65.
- Gregoryk, K. L., & Eighmy, M.A. (2009). Interaction among undergraduate students: Does age matter? College Student Journal, 43(4), 1125-1135. (Role: dissertation advisor, IRB Principal Investigator, collaborated on draft manuscript, collaborated on final edits.)
- Eighmy, M. A. (2009). A trend analysis of manufacturing-related program graduates of community and technical colleges: Great Lakes and Plains regions. Journal of Applied Research in the Community College, 17(1), 30-44.
- Udoh, I. A., Mantell, J. E., Sandfort, T., & Eighmy, M.A. (2009). Potential pathways to HIV/AIDS transmission in the Niger Delta of Nigeria: Poverty, migration and commercial sex. AIDS Care, 21(5), 567-574.
- Hall, B., Nielsen, R., Nelson, J., & Buchholz, C., A Humanistic Framework for Distance Education, Journal of Humanistic Counseling, Education & Development. Vol. 29, 2010.
- Hall, T. Schmidt, M., & Vettern, R T. (2009). This is the dawning of the age of volunteerism: How baby boomers can help solve the volunteer void in rural America? National Community Education Journal. XL(3), 11-14.
- Flage, L., Hall, T., Vettern, R., & Schmidt, M. (2009). Rural revitalization on the horizon. National Community Education Journal. XL(3), 33-36.
- Miller, M., Montplaisir, L., Offerdahl, E., Cheng, F., and Ketterling, G.; “Exploratory Comparison of the Views of the Nature of Science of Natural Science and Non-Science Majors” Life Science Journal. An electronic journal (In press Spring, 2010) refereed
- Kern, A.L; Wood, N.B.; Rehrig, G.H; & Nyachwaya, J.M. (Accepted) A report of high school chemistry students’ representations of a chemical equation. Chemical Education Research and Practice
- LeNoue, M., & Stammen, R., (2009. Building Online Learning Communities with Web 2.0 Tools). Chesapeake, VA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (Conference Proceedings for members. CD available for purchase on web as follows: https://www.aace.org/my/index.cfm/fuseaction/Catalog.Browse/category_keyword/proceedings/category_parent/10000000000).
- Martin, W., Loch, S., Cooley, L., Dexter, S., and Vidakovic, D. (2009). Integrating learning theories and application based modules in teaching linear algebra. Journal of Linear Algebra and its Applications 432 (2010), 2089–2099
- Vettern, R., Hall, T., & Schmidt, M. (2009). Understanding What Rocks Their World: Motivational Factors of Rural Volunteers. Journal of Extension. 47(6), 1-9.
- Welch, A. and Huffman, D. (submitted June 2009; accepted Dec. 2009). The effect of robotics competition on high school students’ attitudes toward. School Science and Mathematics.
- Lawrenz, F.; Wood, N.; Kirchhoff, A.; Kim, N.; & Eisenkraft, A. (2009) Variables Affecting Physics Achievement. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 46 (9): 961-976.
- Wood, N.B.; Lawrenz, F.; & Haroldson, R. (2009) A Judicial Look at the Culture of Dealing. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 46(4), 421-441.
Publications - Other:
- Gregoryk, K., & Eighmy, M.A. (2009). Intergenerational interaction in undergraduate classrooms. EDULEARN09 Proceedings CD. Proceedings of the International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies, Spain, ISBN: 978-84-612-9802-0.
- Ngale Lyonga, A., Eighmy, M.A., & Garden-Robinson, J. (2009). International students’ preferred methods to receive food safety information. [Poster Abstract] Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 41(4S), pp. S39-S40.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Ngale Lyonga, A., & Eighmy, M. A. (2009). Use of electronic group method to assess food-related educational needs and among international college students. [Oral Abstract] Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 41(4S), pp. S9–S10.
- Gregoryk, K., & Eighmy, M. A. (2009). Intergenerational interaction in undergraduate classrooms [Abstract]. EDULEARN09 Abstracts CD. Proceedings of the International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies, Spain, ISBN: 978-84-612-9801-3.
- Lajimodiere, D. L. (2010) Book: Dragonfly Dance. Michigan State University Press
- Silkenat, D. “Hard Times is the Cry’: Debt in Populist Thought in North Carolina” in Southern Populism Revisited: New Interpretations and New Departures, ed. James Matthew Beeby. Jackson: University Press of Mississippi.
- Welch, A. and Huffman, D. (submitted Nov. 2009; accepted Dec. 2009). Students’ attitudes toward scientists. In Attitude research in Science Education: Classics and Contemporary Measurements, Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
Health, Nutrition and Exercise Science
Grant and Contracts:
- McClean, P., Osorno, J., Garden-Robinson, J., et al., Common Bean Coordinated Agricultural Project, USDA, 9/1/2009-8/31/2013, $4,000,000.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Munch n Crunch, General Mills, 6/12/2009-6/11/2010, $10,000.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Eat Smart. Play Hard., North Dakota Dietetic Association, 1/1/2010-12/31/2010, $1,000.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Eat Smart. Play Hard., Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota, 7/1/2009-6/30/2010, $7,500.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Teens Serving Food Safely, North Dakota Nutrition Council, 1/1/2010-12/31/2010, $500.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Eat Smart. Play Hard., Northern Pulse Growers Association, 7/15/2009-7/14/2010, $2,500.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Eat Smart. Play Hard., North Dakota Nutrition Council, 7/1/2009-6/30/2010, $800.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Eat Smart. Play Hard., North Dakota Soybean Council, 7/1/2009-6/30/2010, $2,500.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Eat Smart. Play Hard., North Dakota Beef Commission, 7/15/2009-7/14/2010, $2,000.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Eat Smart. Play Hard., Midwest Dairy Council, 7/15/2009-7/14/2010, $500.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Eat Smart. Play Hard., North Dakota School Nutrition Association, 7/1/2009-6/30/2010, $500.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Contract. Fargo Public School SRPAC Survey Analysis, 5/15/2009-9/14/2010, $1,000.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Eat Smart. Play Hard., Northern Plains Potato Growers Association, 7/1/2009-6/30/2010, $100.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Eat Smart. Play Hard., Northern Canola Growers Association, 7/1/2009-6/30/2010, $1,500.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Eat Smart. Play Hard., North Dakota Department of Public Instruction, 7/1/2009-6/30/2010, $2,500.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Eat Smart. Play Hard., North Dakota Wheat Commission, 7/1/2009-6/30/2010, $1,000.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Eat Smart. Play Hard., Northarvest Bean Growers Association, 7/1/2009-6/30/2010, $1,000.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Teens Serving Food Safely, North Dakota Nutrition Council, 1/1/2009-12/31/2009, $200.
- Garden-Robinson, J. & Slobin, K., Food safety education in the 21st century: Understanding and improving food handling knowledge and behavior among hard to reach audiences, USDA, September 1, 2005-August 31, 2009, $567,339.
- Hall, C., Garden-Robinson, J., et al., Recruitment and Retention of a Diverse Population of Food Safety Students Using Market Research for Enhanced Programs, USDA/CSREES Higher Education Food and Agricultural Sciences National Needs Graduate and Postgraduate Fellowship Grants Program, September 1, 2008–August 31, 2011, $475,000. Co-PI
- Hall, C., Garden-Robinson, J., et al., Great Plains Portal to Food Safety: Educating Tomorrow’s Leaders, USDA/CSREES Higher Education Food and Agricultural Sciences National Needs Graduate and Postgraduate Fellowship Grants Program, 11/2006–11/2011, $156,000. Co-PI Wolf-Hall, C., Garden-Robinson, J., et al., Great Plains Portal to Food Safety: Educating
- Garden-Robinson, J., 2006 Families Count: Family Strengthening Award, Annie E. Casey Foundation/National 4-H Council. 7/17/2006 – 6/30/2099, $15,000.
- Tomorrow's Leaders, Part II. USDA-CSREES-Food and Agricultural Sciences National Needs Graduate and Postgraduate Fellowship NNF Grants Program, 1/1/2009-12/31/2013, $13,500. Co-PI
- Draeger, Kathy and Gold, Abby. Re-Localizing Our Food Shed: New Models and Methodologies Symposium, North Central Region Center for Rural Development, $17,000
- Stastny, S., PI & Co-PI’s Youd, L., Kopp, N. (2009). Diabetic retinopathy Expires May, 2010. National Optometric Association Healthy Eyes Healthy people. $5000.00.
Publications - Refereed:
- White, J. A., Terbizan, D., Brunt, A. Sanders, G. & Klenow, D. (2009). A unique path to better health: Exploring a successful health and physical activity promotion program for faith communities (Part Two). Health Ministry Journal, 4(2), 30-43.
- Steinhaus, J., Brunt, A., Pankow, D., Garden-Robinson, J., & Terbizan, D. (2009). Who attends the Extension Family Nutrition Program in a rural state and what are the preferences of its diverse clientele? Journal of Extension. 47(4). 4RIB3.
- Rhee, Y. & Brunt, A. (2009) Flaxseed lignan increased glucose uptake by human red blood cells. The Open Nutraceuticals Journal. 2, 81-85
- Aman, J. & Christensen, B. (2009). Effects of static stretching, PNF stretching, and dynamic warm-up on maximum power output and fatigue. In A. Harrison, R. Anderson, I. Kenny (Eds.) Proceedings of the 27th International Conference of Biomechanics in Sports, pp. 828-831. Faculty of Education and Health Sciences: University of Limerick.
- Hilgers, S. & Christensen, B. (2009). The effects on strength, power, and genu valgum following a five week training program with whole-body vibration. In A. Harrison, R. Anderson, I. Kenny (Eds.) Proceedings of the 27th International Conference of Biomechanics in Sports, p. 323. Faculty of Education and Health Sciences: University of Limerick.
- Garden-Robinson, J. & Ussatis, R. (March 2010) On the Move to Better Health. National 4-H Program of Distinction Available from http://cyfernet.ces.ncsu.edu/pod/index.php
- Lyonga, AN., Eighmy, M.A., & Garden-Robinson, J. (February 2010) Examining the Prevalence of Self-Reported Foodborne Illnesses and Food Safety Risks among International College Students in the United States. International Electronic Journal of Health Education. 13:14.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Schwarzwalter, K., & Gold, A. (2009). Food handling knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors among refugee New Americans. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 41 (4S), S39.
- Spors, L., Lanning, C. & Hansen, P. (November 2009). Recognizing and Preventing MRSA. NSCA Hot Topic Series. National Strength and Conditioning Association Online. www.nsca-lift.org.
- Hetland, K. M. & Strand, B. (provisionally accepted, 2010). A status report of PETE programs in the Central District. The ICHPER_SD International Journal of Research in Health, Physical Education, Recreation, Sport, and Dance.
- Mozumdar, A & Liguori, G. (2010). Statewide Awareness Study on Personal Risks of Cardiovascular Disease in Women Public Employees of North Dakota: A ‘Go Red North Dakota’ Study. Women’s Health, 6(1): 37-50.
- Mozumdar, A., Liguori, G., & Baumgartner, T.A. (2010). Additional Revised Push-up Test Norms for College Students. Measurement in Physical Education and Exercise Science, 14(1):1-6
- Miller, K.C., Mack, G., & Knight, K.L. (2009). Electrolyte and plasma changes following ingestion of pickle juice, water, and a common carbohydrate-electrolyte solution. Journal of Athletic Training, 44, 454-461.
- Terbizan, D., Rhee, Y. & Stastny, S. (2009). A comparison of different body composition assessment techniques. Missosuri AAHPERD Journal, 19, 104-111.
- Rhee, Y. (2009). Korean food practice. ADA Nutrition Care Manual. Available at www.nutritioncaremanual.org. (Manual update).
- Albrecht, J., & Strand, B. (2010) A review of the history of youth sports. Journal of Youth Sport.
- Strand, B., & Zeigler, G. (2010) Gamesmanship of high school athletes. Journal of Youth Sports.
- Strand, B., Egeberg, J., & Mozumdar, A. (2010). The prevalence and characteristics of wellness program and centers at two-year and four-year colleges and universities. Recreational Sports Journal, 34(1), 45-57.
- Tande, D. L., Magel, R. C., & Strand, B. N. (2009). Healthy eating index and abdominal obesity. Public Health Nutrition,13(2), 208-214.
- Senne, A., & Strand, B. (2009). PETE students’ knowledge of appropriate practices and perceived practice of their high school physical education teachers. Missouri Journal of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance. 19, 25-40.
- Tande, D. L., Magel, C. R., Strand, B. N., & Terbizan, D. J. (2009). Active lifestyles are associated with favorable anthropometric measures for US adults. The ICHPERSD Journal of Research in Health, Physical Education, Recreation, Sport and Dance, 4(1), 31-35.
- Terbizan, D.J., Stasny, S., & Rhee, Y. (2009). A comparison of body composition techniques. Missouri Journal of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance, 19:104-111.
- Martinez-Gomez, D. Tucker, J.M. Heelan, K.A. Welk, G.J. Eisenmann, J.C. (2009). Associations between sedentary behavior and blood pressure in young children. Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine,163(8), 724-30.