Research Projects 2010-2011
During the 2010-2011 year, the College of Human Development and Education saw an increase in the participation of faculty in grant and research work. Some highlights of the year are listed here, and a list of presentations, publications, and funded projects for the year is presented below.
Grants & Contracts. Twenty HDE faculty members (34% of tenured/tenure track faculty) received funds from external grants and contracts in 2010-2011 by serving as principle investigators or co-investigators. The approximate grant/contract dollars available for use during this year was $4,417,961. This includes funds awarded this year for use during this year ($1,106,561) and funds used this year awarded in multi-year projects funded in previous years ($3,310,400). HDE Extension faculty funding and funding received by HDE faculty in collaboration with persons outside the College of Human Development and Education were included.
Refereed Publications. Thirty-nine (64%) tenured/tenure-track faculty members published refereed journal articles (58) or refereed abstracts/proceedings (26). At 58, the number of refereed journal articles was a record high for the College. Productivity in terms of refereed articles per tenured and tenure-track faculty members increase slightly to .98 (up from .83 in 09/10) articles per faculty member and 1.7 articles per faculty member for those who published (up from 1.3 in 2009-2010).
Presentations. Faculty gave 15 international presentations in seven countries including Portugal, Sweden, China, Zambia, Canada, South Korea, and Hungary. Faculty members from all four of the College academic units presented internationally. A total of 67 national presentations were given during the past year. In total, 41 faculty members (69%) presented at international or national conferences.
Apparel, Design and Hospitality Management
Publications - Refereed:
- Asperin, A.E., Castillo, A. (2010 Fall). Developing a best practice guide for increasing high school student participation and satisfaction in the National School Lunch Program. Journal of Child Nutrition & Management, 34(2), from http://www.schoolnutrition.org/Content.aspx?id=14759.
- Lee, J. & Yoo J. (2011). Dressing the Self in Cyberspace. Journal of Asian Regional Association for Home Economics, 18, 1-6.
- Lee, J. & Lee, S. (2010). Building initial trust with unknown retailers in the online gifting market. Journal of Global Academy of Marketing Science, 20(4), 342-351.
- Lennon, S.J., Johnson, K.K.P., & Lee, J. (2011). A Perfect Storm for Consumer Misbehavior: Shopping on Black Friday. Clothing and Textiles Research Journal, 29(2), 119-134.
- Phillips, W. & Jang, S.C. (2010). Destination Image Differences between Visitors and Non-Visitors: A Case of New York City. International Journal of Tourism Research, 12(5), 642-645.
- Phillips, W. Jang, S.C. & Canter, D. (2010). Senior Casino Gaming Motivation: Measurement Scale Development. Tourism Analysis, 15(2), 197-211.
- Hwang, J. & Wolfe, K. (2010). Implications of using the electronic response system in a large class. Journal of Teaching in Travel & Tourism, 10(3), 265-279.
PUBLICATIONS - Other:
- Braaten, A.W. “Book Review of Pens and Needles: Textualities of Early Modern Women” by Susan Frye, Fall 2010, Journal of Family and Consumer Science.
- Lennon, S. J., Kim, M., Lee, J., Kim, M., & Johnson, K. K. P. (2011, May). Happy as a Lark or Mad as a Hornet?: Consumer Emotions on Black Friday. 2011 International Textile and Apparel Association-Korean Academy of Marketing Science Joint Symposium Proceedings, Seoul, South Korea.
- Lee, J. & Ju, H. (2010, October). College Students’ Understanding of Social Responsibility in the Fashion Industry. International Textile and Apparel Association Proceedings, Montreal, Canada.
- Lennon, S. J., Kim, M., Lee, J., Kim, M., & Johnson, K. K. P. (2010, October). Consumer misbehavior on Black Friday: Individual and situational antecedents. International Textile and Apparel Association Proceedings, Montreal, Canada.
- Lennon, S. J., Kim, M., Lee, J., & Johnson, K. K. P. (2010, October). Antecedents of consumer emotions on Black Friday. International Textile and Apparel Association Proceedings, Montreal, Canada.
- Lennon, S. J., Lee. J., & Johnson, K. K. P. (2010, October). Darkside consumption: Consumer misbehavior on Black Friday. Fashion in fiction: The Dark Side Conference Proceedings, Philadelphia, PA.
- Lennon, S. J., Johnson, K. K. P., Kim, M., & Lee, J. (2010, June). A model of consumer misbehavior on Black Friday: A perfect storm. American Collegiate Retailing Association Proceedings, Orlando, FL.
- Phillips, W. & Jang, S.C. (2010). Understanding the dynamics of senior gaming motivation. Proceedings of Asia Pacific Tourism Association (APTA) Conference, Macau, SAR, China.
- Ray-Degges, S. (2011). “Program Self-Study in Preparation for a CIDA accreditation review.” Resources - workshop presentations at accredit-id.org//. [Available on CIDA website for international dissemination at http://accredit-id.org/faculty-programs/resources/.
Human Development and Family Science
Grants and Contracts:
- Brotherson, S. (P.I.). Gearing Up for Kindergarten Evaluation Project. Sub-contract award from North Dakota State Parent Information Resource Center. 10/1/2010 to 9/30/2011. $10,000.
- Deal, J., Fitzgerald, M., Hektner, J., & Sanders, G. Great Plains Inter-University Consortium (subcontract). University Passport Project. U. S. Department of Agriculture (2010-2011). $31,064 subcontract of Kansas State University Grant.
- Query, S., Harrington, B., & Hauge, L. North Dakota & Minnesota 4-H After School Training; National 4-H Council & MetLife Foundation; 1/8/2010 - 12/31/2010. $13,500.
- Query, S., Young, B., & Hauge, L. North Dakota 4-H SET for the Future Sustaining Community Project; CREES CYFAR; 7/1/2010 – 6/31/2011; $140,000.
- Woods, R. J. Multisensory processing and object individuation in infants and adults. NIH COBRE Pilot Project; 09-28-2010 to 09-28-2011; $125,000.
Publications - Refereed:
- Blodgett Salafia, E.H., & Gondoli, D.M. (2011). A four-year longitudinal investigation of the processes by which parents and peers influence the development of adolescent girls’ bulimic symptoms. Journal of Early Adolescence, 31, 390-414. doi: 10.1177/0272431610366248
- Brotherson, S. E., White, J., & Masich, C. (2010). Parents Forever: An assessment of the perceived value of a brief divorce education program. Journal of Divorce and Remarriage, 51, 465-490.
- Corning, A.F., Gondoli, D.M., *Bucchianeri, M.M., & Blodgett Salafia, E.H. (2010). Preventing the development of body issues in adolescent girls through intervention with their mothers. Body Image, 7, 289-295.
- Fitzgerald, M. A., Haynes, G. W., Schrank, H. L., & Danes, S. M. (2010). Socially responsible processes of small family business owners: Exploratory evidence from the National Family Business Survey. Journal of Small Business Management, 48(4), 524-551.
- Grundy, A.M., Gondoli, D.M., & Blodgett Salafia, E.H. (2010). Hierarchical linear modeling analysis of change in maternal knowledge over the transition to adolescence. Journal of Early Adolescence, 30, 707-732.
- Lee, Y. L., Jasper, C. J. & Fitzgerald, M. A. (2010). Gender differences in perceived business success and profit growth among family business managers. Journal of Family and Economic Issues, 31, 458-474. DOI: 10.1007/s10834-010-9226-z
- McGeorge, C. R., & Carlson, T. S. (2011). Deconstructing heterosexism: Becoming an LGB affirmative heterosexual couple and family therapist. Journal of Marital & Family Therapy, 37(1), 14-26.
- McGeorge, C. R., & Carlson, T. S., (2010). Social justice mentoring: Preparing family therapists for social justice advocacy work. Michigan Family Review, 14(1), 42-59.
- Niehm, L. S., Tyner, K. E., Shelley, M. C., & Fitzgerald, M. A. (2010). Antecedents and consequences of information technology adoption in small family-owned businesses. Journal of Family and Economic Issues, 31(4), 498-515. DOI: 10.1007/s10834-010-9197-0.
- Niemeier, B. S., Tande, D. L., Hwang, J., Stastny, S., & Hektner, J. M. (2010). Using education, exposure, and environments to increase preschool children’s knowledge about fruit and vegetables. Journal of Extension, 48(1), article number 1IAW6. Retrieved from http://www.joe.org/
- O’Neill, B., Porter, N. M., Pankow, D., Schuchardt, J., & Johnson, J. (2010). Online investment education: listening to learners to develop an effective financial literacy program for farm households. Journal of Financial Counseling and Planning, (21), 25 – 42.
- Rock, M., Carlson, T. S., & McGeorge, C. R. (2010). Does Affirmative Training Matter? Assessing CFT Students’ Beliefs about Sexual Orientation and Their Level of Affirmative Training. Journal of Marital & Family Therapy, 36(2), 171-184.
- Wilcox, T., Smith, T., & Woods, R. (2010). Priming infants to use pattern in an object individuation task: The role of comparison. Developmental Psychology. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1037/a0021792
- Woods, R. J., & Wilcox, T. (2010). Co-variations of color and luminance facilitate object individuation in infancy. Developmental Psychology,46, 681-690.
- Woods, R. J., Wilcox, T., Alexander, G., & Armstrong, J. (2010). Infants’ tracking of three-dimensional occluded objects. Infant Behavior and Development, 33, 663-671.
Publications - Other:
- Brotherson, S. E., & Saxena, D. (2010, August). Gearing Up for Kindergarten: Project overview and year-end report for 2009-2010. Project and evaluation report prepared for United Way Foundation of Cass-Clay, North Dakota Parent Information Resource Center, and participant schools, Fargo, ND, August 2010.
- Brotherson, S. E. (2010, July). Planning for an unexpected death. The Village Family Magazine, June/July 2010, Vol. 15 (No. 3), 43-45.
- Brotherson, S. E. (2010, April). Sexting. The Village Family Magazine, April/May 2010, Vol. 14 (No. 3), 38-39.
- Brotherson, S. (2010, April). Fathering for family health and fitness. Educational article in Eat Smart, Play Hard. Together Magazine, 2010-2011 Edition, pp. 14-15. NDSU Extension Service, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND.
- Blodgett Salafia, E.H. (2010). Eating disorders and disordered eating: What are the differences? Eat Smart, Play Hard, Together Magazine. Extension Service, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND.
- O'Neil, B., Porter, N., Pankow, D., Shuchardt, J., and Johnson, J. (2010) Online investment education: listening to learners to develop an effective financial literacy program for farm households. Journal of Financial Counseling and Planning. Volume 1(1), 23:40.
- Query, S. & Vettern, R. (2010, July). Sexting: What Every Caring Adult Should Know. NDSU Extension Service, NDSU, Fargo, ND.
- Query, S. (2010, May). Eight Essential Elements of Positive Youth Development. YD-1482. NDSU Extension Service, NDSU, Fargo, ND.
- Query, S. (2010, April). Ask an Expert about 4-H Programs. Educational article in Eat Smart, Play Hard Together magazine, 2010-2011 Edition, p 12. NDSU Extension Service, NDSU, Fargo, ND.
- Query, S. & Stokesbary, C. (2010, February). Understanding and Working with Youth. YD-1470. NDSU Extension Service, NDSU, Fargo, ND.
- Woods, R. (2010). Child’s play: Playtime for your infant or toddler. Eat Smart, Play Hard, Together 2010-2011 Edition. NDSU Extension Service, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND.
School of Education
Grants and Contracts:
- Duffield, Stacy. North Dakota Humanities Council Grant. $13,044 May, 2011.
- Ray, Chris (PI), Wageman, Justin & Wood, Nathan (co-PIs) Evaluation of Strengthening the Mathematics Foundation for Success in Algebra. US Department of Education/ND Department of Public Instruction. $49,994
- Vettern, R. (PI), National 4-H Council and Monsanto Volunteer Development Grant. $2,000. 2011.
- Wageman, Justin J.. (PI) North Dakota State Assessment and Accountability System Research Project. North Dakota Department of Public Instruction September 1, 2010 – September 30, 2011. $373,283
- Wageman, Justin J. (PI). North Dakota Curriculum Initiative II. North Dakota Department of Public Instruction Duration of the Grant: March 15, 2011 – September 30, 2011.$129,033
- Welch, Anita (PI). BEST Robotics Evaluation Auburn University $3900. June 2010- May 2011.
- Young, R. B. (PI), Science-in-CTE Graduate Support, funded by the Association for Career and Technical Education. $8032, Fall 2010.
- Young, R. B. (PI), Science-in-CTE Graduate Support, funded by the Association for Career and Technical Education. $15,961, Spring 2011.
Publications - Refereed:
- Enger, K., & Lajimodiere, D. (2011). A multicultural transformative approach to learning: Assessing attitude change in doctoral students following an online diversity course. Multicultural Education & Technology Journal, next issue.
- Hall, B., Nielsen, R., Nelson, J. & Buchholz, C. (2010). Maintaining the human touch in distance education. The Journal of Humanistic Counseling, Education, and Development 49 (1), 45-57 .
- Hall, T., & Vettern R. (Nov. 2010). What makes them tick? Understanding our differences can enhance intergenerational volunteer collaboration. The International Journal of Volunteer Administration. XXVII(3).
- Holyoake, L.; Sturko, P.A.; Wood, N.B.; & Wu, L.J.. Are Academic Departments Perceived as Learning Organizations? Education Management and Administration Leadership
- Miller, M., Montplaisir, L., Offerdahl, E., Cheng, F., & Ketterling, G. “Comparison of Views of the Nature of Science between Natural Science and Non-science Majors” Life Science Education , Highlights of 2010, 9, 94-103. (refereed) 2010
- Rapisarda, C. A., Desmond, K. J., & Nelson, J. R. (2011). Student reflections on the journey to being a supervisor. The Clinical Supervisor 30, 109-123.doi: 10.1080/0735223.2011.564958
- Salajan, F.D., Schönwetter, D., & Cleghorn, B. (2010, Nov). Student and Faculty Inter-Generational Digital Divide: Fact or Fiction? Computers & Education, 55(3), 1393-1403.
- Silkenat, D. "In Good Hands, In a Safe Place': Female Academies in Confederate North Carolina" North Carolina Historical Review LXXXVIII (January 2011): 1-32.
- Welch, A. (August 2010). Using the TOSRA to assess high school students’ attitudes toward science after competing in the FIRST robotics competition: An exploratory study. EURASIA, 6(2), 101-110
Publications - Other:
- Erichsen, E. A., & Bolliger, D. U. (2010, Aug). Towards understanding isolation of international students in traditional and online learning environments. Educational Technology Research and Development. Advanced online publication. doi:10.1007/s11423-010-9161-6 ~ First author, co-collaborator, and initiator of being awarded funding for the completion of this research
- Kern, A., Pegg, J., & Wood, N.B. (2010). Idaho Science and Literacy in the Elementary Schools (ISLES) 2010 Final Evaluation Report, for Idaho Department of Education and US Department of Education – Math Science Partnership Program, August, 2010.
- Ladbury Stahl, J., Hall, B., & Benz, R. (2010). Transient students: addressing relocation to a new high school through group counseling. Compelling Counseling Images: The Best of VISTAS 2010 (on-line-http://counselingoutfitters.com/vistas/vistas10/Article_58.pdf). Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association. (Co-author)
- Lefor, K., Query, S., & Vettern, R., Lybeck, S., & Hoge, A. (2010) Sexting: What every caring adult should know. NDSU Extension Educational Curriculum.
- Roehrig, G.H; Kern, A.L.; Wood, N.B.; & Nyachwaya, J.M. (2010) Assessing Students' Knowledge of Molecular Representations. In (J. Ryan, T. Clark, & A.Collier Eds.) Assessment in the Disciplines Volume 5: Assessment in Chemistry, Tallahassee, FL: The Association for Institutional Research.
- Silkenat, D. "Social and Economic Mobility" in American Centuries: The Ideas, Issues, and Trends that Made U.S History, vol. 4 (19th Century), ed. by Melanie Gustafson. New York: Facts on File, 2011.
- Silkenat, D. "Suicide" and "George Moses Horton" in Encyclopedia of Slavery in the Americas. Edited by Edward E. Baptist. New York: Facts On File, 2011.
- Wageman, J.J., Wang, X., Clemons, T., & Barley, Z. (2010). Analytical findings: North Dakota Consequential Validity Study. A report prepared for the North Dakota Department of Public Instruction.
- Welch, A. (2011). Red River Basin River Watch Program Annual Evaluation Report. Fargo, ND: Red River Watershed Management Board.
- Wood, N.B. & Martin, W. (2010). Examining Mathematics Coaching (EMC) Annual Evaluation Report, for David Yopp (PI), Beth Burroughs (Co PI), John Sutton (CoPI) and Marc Brodersen (Co PI), EMC project, funded via NSF, MSP program, August, 2010.
- Lajimodiere, D. L. (2010) Book: Dragonfly Dance. Michigan State University Press
- Silkenat, D. “Hard Times is the Cry’: Debt in Populist Thought in North Carolina” in Southern Populism Revisited: New Interpretations and New Departures, ed. James Matthew Beeby. Jackson: University Press of Mississippi.
Health, Nutrition and Exercise Science
Grant and Contracts:
- Whittlesey, C. & Deutsch J., Phil Hansen Sportsmanship Camp for Kids, National Football League, $2,800.
- Myers, D., Hall, C., Pieri, R., Garden-Robinson, J. et al., A Collaborative Approach to Increasing diversity in food sciences through the multicultural scholars program, USDA-NIFA, National Institute of Food and Agriculture, Multicultural scholars program, $160,000.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Eat Smart. Play Hard., North Dakota Dietetic Association, 11/2010- 6/30/2011, $1,000.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Teens Serving Food Safely, North Dakota Nutrition Council, 1/1/2011-12/31/2011, $500.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Eat Smart. Play Hard. Northern Pulse Growers Association, 11/2010-6/30/2011, $2,500.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Eat Smart. Play Hard., North Dakota Nutrition Council, 8/2010- 6/30/2011, $500.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Eat Smart. Play Hard., North Dakota Soybean Council, 7/2010- 6/29/2011, $2,500.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Eat Smart. Play Hard., North Dakota Beef Commission, 7/2010- 6/29/2011, $2,000.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Eat Smart. Play Hard. Midwest Dairy Council, 7/2010-6/29/2011, $500.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Eat Smart. Play Hard. Northern Canola Growers Association, 7/2011
- 6/29/2011, $1,500.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Eat Smart. Play Hard., North Dakota Department of Public Instruction, 9/2010-6/30/2011, $2,500.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Eat Smart. Play Hard., North Dakota Wheat Commission, 7/2010 $1,000.
- Garden-Robinson, J., PI, Stastny, S., & Jacobs, A. (2010). Mini grant. USDA Extension. $3,450. Nourish Your Bones.
- Stastny S., PI, Kopp, N., & Garden-Robinson, J. Eating for your eyes II: Diabetic Retinopathy. National Eye Institute, National Institute of Health, Healthy Vision Community Award. $10,000.
Publications - Refereed:
- Albrecht, J. M., Strand, B., & Mozumdar, A. (2010). Basic first aid qualifications and knowledge among youth sport coaches. Journal of Coaching Education, 3(3), 3-18.
- Albrecht, J. M., & Strand, B. (2010). A review of organized youth sport in the United States. Youth First – Journal of Youth Sport, 5(1), 16-20.
- Eisenmann J. C., Sarzynski M.A., Tucker J. M., Heelan K. A. (2010) Maternal pre-pregnancy overweight and offspring fatness and blood pressure: role of physical activity. Pediatric Exercise Science. (3):368-78.
- Fountaine, C. J., Liguori, G., & Mozumdar, A. (2011). The relationship among physical activity, television viewing, computer use, and video game playing in college students. International Journal of Fitness, 6(2):19-26.
- Garden-Robinson, J. A. & Beauchamp, K. A. (2011). Folic acid every day: An educational intervention for women of childbearing age. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal. 39(3), 246-255.
- Garden-Robinson, J., Eighmy, M., & Lyonga, A., (2010). Use of electronic group method in assessing food safety training needs and delivery methods among international college students in the U.S. Appetite. 55(3), 746-749.
- Hayes H. M., Eisenmann, J. C., Heelen K. A., Welk, G .J., Tucker J. M., (2011), Joint association of fatness and physical activity on resting blood pressure in 5-9 year old children. Pediatric Exercise Science. 23 (1):97-105.
- Hetland, K. & Strand, B. (2010). A descriptive analysis of undergraduate PETE programs in the Central District. The ICHPER-SD Journal of Research in Health, Physical Education, Recreation, Sport and Dance, (5)1, 3-9.
- Liguori, G., Schuna Jr, J, and Mozumdar, A. (2011). Semester long changes in sleep duration for college students. College Student Journal. E-pub: findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCR/
- Mozumdar, A & Liguori, G. (2011). Occupational physical activity and the metabolic syndrome among working-women: A Go Red North Dakota study. Journal of Physical Activity and Health. 8(3):167-175.
- Mozumdar, A., & Liguori, G. (2010). Persistent increase of prevalence of metabolic syndrome among US adults: NHANES III to NHANES 1999-2006. Diabetes Care. 34(1):216-9.
- Miller, K.C., Mack, G.W., Knight, K.L. (2010). Gastric emptying after pickle juice ingestion in rested, dehydrated humans. Journal of Athletic Training. 45, 601-608.
- Miller, K.C., Mack, G.W., Knight, K.L., Hopkins, J.T., Draper, D.O., Fields, P.J., Hunter, I. (2010). Three percent hypohydration does not increase the threshold frequency of electrically induced cramps. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 42, 2056-2063.
- Schuna, J. & Christensen, B. (2010). The jump squat: Free weight barbell, smith machine, or dumbbells? Strength and Conditioning Journal, 32(6), 38-41.
- Stastny, S. & Garden-Robinson, J. (2011). Eating for your eyes., Journal of Nutrition
Education and Behavior. 43(2), 137-139.
- Strand, B., Egeberg, J., & Mozumdar, A. (2010). Health-related fitness and physical activity courses at colleges and universities. The ICHPER-SD Journal of Research in Health, Physical Education, Recreation, Sport and Dance, (5)1, 3-9.
- Strand, B., & Zeigler, G. (2010). Gamesmanship of high school athletes. Journal of Youth
Sports, (5), 25-30.
- Strand, B., & Bender, V. (2011). Knowledge and use of appropriate instructional strategies by physical education teachers. The Physical Educator, (68) 2-17.
- Tande, D., Niemeier, B., Hwang, J., & Stastny, S. (2010). Using education, exposure and environments to increase preschool children’s knowledge about fruits and vegetables. Journal of Extension, 48, 1.
- Tucker, J. M., Welk, G.J., Nusser, S., Beyler, N.K., Dzewaltowski, D. A. (2011), Estimating Minutes of Physical Activity from PDPAR: Validation of a Prediction Equation. Journal of Physical Activity and Health. (1):71-78.
- Sarzynski, M.A., Eisenmann, J.C., Welk, G.J., Tucker, J.M., Glenn, K., Rothschild. M. F.,
Heelan, K. (2010) Ace I/D genotype, habitual physical activity, and blood pressure in children. Pediatric Exercise Science. 2(2):301-13.
- Tucker, J. M., Welk, G.J., Beyler, N.K. (2011). Physical Activity in U.S. Adults: Compliance with the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans. American Journal of Preventative Medicine, 40(4): 454-461.
- Liguori, G. & Carroll-Cobb, S. (2011). FitWell. McGraw-Hill (ISBN 0073523704)