Summer Salary/Summer DCE Guidelines
If a 9, 10 or 11 month faculty is being paid summer salary or DCE:
Change Form 101 is required. Please make sure you are using the most current version of the Change Form 101, revised 4/2014.
- At the top of the form fill in the Employee Name, Empl ID and the Effective Date (the first day of the pay period for the first summer salary or DCE payment).
- In the “Remarks” section at the top, type “SUMMER SALARY, SEE 2ND PAGE” or "DCE, SEE 2nd PAGE".
- In the "From" column, fill in their current position information, including dept/position/job code/title/compensation rate.
- At the bottom of the 2nd page in the "Other Earnings" section, check the "SUMMER SALARY" box or the "DCE" box.
- Fill in the Department Name, Description of Work, and Justification fields.
- In the Combo Code section, type in the applicable Fund, Dept, Project, Program and Account information.
- In the "$ Amount" column, type the amount the employee will get each pay period and select the "per pay period" payment option from the drop down box.
- Enter the beginning date and ending date for the summer salary payment.
- Enter any applicable remarks in the Additional Comments section.
- Route for signatures. Summer salary forms need to be signed by Department Head, Dean, VP (if applicable), Provost and Budget/Ag Budget Offices before arriving in HR/Payroll to be entered. DCE forms need to be signed by Department Head, Dean, VP (if applicable), Provost and Budget/Ag Budget Offices before arriving in HR/Payroll to be entered.
Tips to Remember:
- Please do not hold or delay payments to employees while waiting for grants to be approved, class sizes to adjust, or even if the employee requests it. Payment for work must be made as the work is being done, it should never be delayed for any reason.
- All summer salary, summer school and DCE payments to benefitted employees are subject to retirement contributions, regardless of funding source. Please keep this in mind and budget accordingly for the additional amounts.
- If a faculty member will get an increased summer salary payment after July 1, 2014 a new Change Form 101 will need to be completed for the new salary. If you anticipate this happening, please have the first Change Form 101 end effective June 30, 2014 and the second Change Form 101 begin effective July 1, 2014.
- If you need to make a change to a summer salary or DCE payment after it has been submitted, plase contact Tricia Johnson in the HR/Payroll office to coordinate that process. Tricia's email is Tricia.Johnson@ndsu.edu and phone number is 701.231.8990.