Health Insurance for International Students
Health care in the United States is expensive and the individual is responsible for paying the medical costs. The government does not pay for it. Having health insurance protects the individual by helping pay the medical expenses if he/she should become ill or be involved in an accident. For these reasons, all international students studying in North Dakota are required by the North Dakota University System (NDUS) to purchase the North Dakota state-mandated health insurance policy.
Below please find the health insurance rates for the 2014-15 academic year.
International students will be charged on their student account automatically upon enrollment.
Continuing students will have no gap in coverage and their policy will continue through August and beyond with no gap between policies. New Fall 2014 students will have coverage beginning as of August 16.
Do not enroll yourself online through the UHSCR website. If you are an international student, you will be enrolled automatically by the International Student and Study Abroad Services office in early September.
You are required to pay the premium to your campus, in full, no later than the end of the sixth week of a regular fall or spring term. (See NDUS Procedure 505 for more information). If you have a spouse and/or dependent(s) whom you wish to enroll, their premium must be paid directly to UnitedHealthcare once enrollment is finalized.
For more information, please see the following information on the NDUS website: https://www.ndus.edu/students/ship/
No later than October 1, 2014
Wednesday, September 3. If this date has passed and you are in F or J status, you will not be eligible for a comparable coverage waiver. If your situation remains the same, you can consider applying for a waiver for the Spring 2015 semester.
Spring 2015/Summer 2015 combined
Date to be announced
Date to be announced
UnitedHealthcare StudentResources (UHCSR) insurance plan
International Students will be automatically enrolled by the NDSU Office of International Programs on a semester basis as they continue to be enrolled at NDSU. Students will receive an email from UnitedHealthcare when their ID card is ready to be downloaded.
"My Account" Message Center - instructions
Previous Spring 2014/Summer 2014 documents
Customer Service: 1-877-433-6667
Please note the plan utilizes the "UHC Options PPO" network. Click here for an excel list of in-network providers by city in North Dakota.
- Fall 2014 Waiver Information
- The deadline for waivers for students in F and J status has now passed. The Spring 2015 deadline has not yet been announced - please check back later for more information.
- Waivers for students not otherwise required to purchase the UHCSR policy:
- For students in H status: please click here for a waiver form. If you are in TN/TD status, you may also use this form and note on it your visa status.
- Waivers for U.S. Permanent Resident (greencard) holders or US Citizens: Please drop off a copy of your Permanent Resident Card or U.S. Passport at the OIP in Memorial Union 116 and the future charge on your account will be removed.