Content | Navigation |

How do I get my insurance card?

Around January 23, the names of international students to enroll in the policy will be finalized by our office. Soon after, you will then receive an email from UnitedHealthcare stating you can now enroll in "My Account" and set up your online profile. You can download your insurance card from this portal. Please do not set up your account until you have received the first email from UnitedHealthcare. If you are a current student continuing on from last Spring or Summer, you will get an email from UnitedHealthcare that says your new ID card for the next year is available.

What will my insurance card look like?

This is a sample insurance card - your card will appear similar to this. Please note general instructions for claim filing and contact information on the back of the card.

When you are enrolled in the insurance plan, you can log into your My Account and download your ID card or request a paper one - or you can also access your card through the UHCSR smartphone app. Search for "UHC StudentResources" for Apple or Android in the App Store or on Google Play.



Important Notes about Utilizing the NDSU Student Health Service and the Referral Requirement

Utilizing the NDSU Student Health Service. This is very important: Students should first seek care at Student Health Service if SHS is open. If no referral is received, the benefit will not be paid to you by UnitedHealthcare. There are a few exceptions to the referral requirement, and those will be noted below under “Visiting a Provider Off-Campus.” Please note the Student Health Service (SHS) benefit provides coverage at 100% for covered benefits (except Prescriptions which are subject to copays of $10/Tier 1, $30/Tier 2 and $50/Tier 3) when treatment is done at the NDSU Student Health Service, so it is usually much cheaper to get treatment on campus.  The NDSU Pharmacy does bill insurance, but the NDSU SHS does not. To receive reimbursement for services done at SHS, students should submit their paid claims to UHCSR for reimbursement.

Visiting a provider off-campus. If you choose to visit a provider off-campus, you must first receive a referral from NDSU’s SHS to allow you to receive services off campus. If a referral is received, there is a $25 physician co-pay due at the time of service. Covered services are then covered at 80%. Students only need to seek a referral for a particular condition once per benefit period (before August 15, 2015). When the next policy year begins and you still have the same medical condition, you will need to visit SHS again and receive another referral.

When is a referral not necessary? If you are sick and the NDSU SHS is closed and you require immediate medical care, please do not delay getting the help you need. A referral from SHS is NOT necessary under the following conditions only, so please read carefully:
1.    Medical Emergency.  The student must return to SHC for necessary follow-up care.
2.    When the Student Health Center is closed.
3.    When service is rendered at another facility during break or vacation periods.
4.    Medical care received when the student is more than 50 miles from campus.
5.    Medical care obtained when student is no longer able to use the SHC due to a change in student status.
6.    Maternity, obstetrical and gynecological care.
7.    Mental Illness treatment and Substance Use Disorder treatment.
**Also please note that dependents also do not need a referral. This is because dependents are usually not students and are thus not eligible to utilize the SHS services.

How do I file a claim?

This procedure is mainly used for when you visit the NDSU Student Health Service (SHS) on campus.
1.    Ask doctor or provider for an itemized bill or receipt that lists:
The service provided with diagnosis & procedure codes for each service, and the date the service was provided and the cost. The statement provided to you by NDSU SHS after your visit will be sufficient for the claims process.
2.    Write your name and daytime phone number on each document (also your SR ID# if you have it)
3.    Please make and keep a copy of each itemized bill or receipt for your records & write date mailed.
4.    Send your itemized bill or receipt by scanning and emailing or faxing, or mailing to UnitedHealthcare StudentResources.

Mail:    United Health Care Student Resources
           PO Box 809025
           Dallas, TX 75380

Fax:     469-229-5510


5.    Please submit your claim in a timely manner. 

If I file a claim, how long does it take to receive my reimbursement check?

If you have filed the claim properly, providing all of the necessary information, the claim is typically processed within 14 working days.  UHCSR encourages you to create your online "My Account" with UHCSR and check it for communication from UHCSR in case any additional information is required. Also, please make sure your current address is updated in your My Account so that the refund check arrives at your correct address without delays.

How do I enroll my dependents?

Please visit the UnitedHealthcare website at click on NDSU’s name, and then scroll to the “Plan Information” header in pink. Click the link pertaining to dependent enrollment and enroll your spouse and/or child/ren. As soon as UnitedHealthcare receives your name on the enrollment list from NDSU (in late January 2015), they will match it up with your dependent’s info. And then UnitedHealthcare will send you an email asking for payment for your dependent. Payment is required in full for the semester.

NDUS Policy/Procedure 505 says that I can request a waiver of the insurance if I have comparable coverage. Where can I find more information on this?

Please click here for more information on waivers of the NDUS insurance requirement and for a copy of the waiver form.

I plan to graduate in May or am going home for the summer before classes start in the Fall. Can I get an insurance refund or pay only through May?

No, you are still required to pay the Spring/Summer amount in full. Also, refunds or waivers pro-rated for the summer period are not allowed. The insurance plan is considered non-refundable. If you are eligible to purchase it at the start of the semester, you remain eligible for the insurance throughout the remainder of the plan year (through August 15 of each year) even if you are not enrolled in summer classes.

I will graduate in May 2015 and know my insurance is valid through August 15, 2015. Do I still have to get a referral from the NDSU Student Health Service?

No you will not need a referral from Student Health Service after graduation.  The student insurance plan you have now does offer an exception for after you graduate. If your student status changes, like because of graduation and you are no longer enrolled, you can still use the student health plan through August 15 – but because you are no longer eligible to use the health services on campus, you must go off campus for your treatment and no referral is required. So as soon as you graduate, you can be seen by the provider/clinic off campus that you choose and you will have coverage.

Back to the main Health Insurance information page.

Click here for a list of Frequently Asked Questions about health insurance published by UnitedHealthcare StudentResources
Click on "North Dakota State University" and then the "FAQs" link on the left in the menu.

Student Focused. Land Grant. Research University.

Follow NDSU
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • RSS
  • Google Maps

Office of International Student and Study Abroad Services
North Dakota State University
Phone: +1 (701) 231-7895 - Fax: +1 (701) 231-1014
Campus address: Memorial Union 116
Physical/delivery address: 1401 Administration Ave / Memorial Union 116, Fargo, ND  58102
Page manager: International Student and Study Abroad Services

Last Updated: Friday, January 09, 2015 1:42:53 PM