If you are in F-1 status:
- You must be in full-time status.
- Submit the following documents:
- Copy of marriage certificate (plus a translation in English)
- Copy of dependent's passport
- Official financial documentation - you must show enough funds for you and each dependent (see Estimate of Expenses in the Admission portion of our website)
- Submit documents to OIP and wait a week for documents to be reviewed and dependent I-20 to be issued. We will email you when the documents are ready to be picked up.
- Mail the I-20 and financial documents (bank statements, assistantship letters, etc.) to your dependent(s).
- Dependents should go to Consulate for visa.
- Current NDSU F-1 students who return home to marry during their program, must first submit/fax a copy of their marriage certificate prior to issuance of dependent I-20.
If you are in J-1 status
- Be in full-time status, with correct date of completion.
- Check with sponsor to be sure they approve.
- Have enough funds for each dependent (see estimate of expenses).
- Submit documents to international office and wait a week for dependent DS-2019 to be completed. OR These documents may need to be submitted to your sponsor.
- Send DS-2019, financial documents (bank statements, assistantship letters, etc) and Dependent Form to dependents.
- Dependents should go to Consulate for visa. A dependent may need to submit proof of insurance.
Immigration Forms and Resources for F-1 students
Please click below for Immigration Forms and Procedures related to F-1 students:
- Statement of International Student Responsibilities
- Bringing Dependents
- Change of Status to/from F-1
- Did you change your major?
- Graduation and Beyond
- I-20 Extensions
- Leave of Absence
- Maintaining your Status: Credits
- Reinstatement to F-1 Status
- Requesting OIP letters
- Social Security Cards & Drivers License
- Transferring to Another School
- Travelling Home
- Updating your Address
BACK to the main Immigration page.