Frequently Asked Questions - Google Apps at NDSU
How do I create my NDSU Google Apps account?
Accounts for Google Apps at NDSU are created automatically for all NDSU students, faculty and staff.
To begin accessing your account, you must log in for the first time using a default password.
How do I log in to my NDSU Google Apps account for the first time?
- Open a new Web browser and go to: www.google.com/a/ndsu.edu
- Type your NDSU email address (typically email@example.com) in the Email field
- Type your default password in an Xxx##YYYY format:
Xxx are the first 3 letters of your birth month, with the first letter capitalized
## are the last two numbers of your Student ID / Emplid
YYYY is the year you were born
- Click Sign in
- When prompted, enter a new password, and then enter your new password again to verify you have entered it correctly
- Click Let’s Get Started to close the initial welcome message
What if I already have a Google account that uses my @ndsu.edu address?
If you already have a Google account that uses your @ndsu.edu email address, you now have two unique and separate accounts with Google that have the same username. Google refers to this issue as a "conflicted account status."
The personal Google account you created can be accessed with the username and password you previously set for that account. Your new Google Apps at NDSU account can be accessed for the first time by logging in with a default password.
Resolve the "conflicted account status" issue
To resolve the "conflicted account status" issue, you have the option to change the email address tied to your personal account.
- Open a Web browser and go to: https://accounts.google.com
- Log in with your personal account username (@ndsu.edu) and password
- When prompted with, "An update to your account is required," click Get Started at the bottom of the page
- Under Account update checklist, choose to Select a different address for your personal Google account
- Follow the instructions to complete the process, and contact the IT Help Desk at 231-8685 (option 1) if you have questions or need assistance
- If you wish to move content out of your personal account and into your new NDSU Google account, you will need to do so manually, and then you'll need to reset any sharing permissions associated with those files after they are moved
What services are included with my NDSU Google Apps account?
Can I log on to other Google services with my NDSU Google Apps username and password?
No. Your Google Apps at NDSU account provides access only to those services that have been approved by NDSU legal counsel, including Google Sites and Google Drive. Other Google services, including Gmail, Google Calendar, Blogger, YouTube, Google+, Google Maps and Picasa Web Albums, are not accessible through your Google Apps at NDSU account.
How do I change my NDSU Google Apps password?
To change your password, log in to your account using your current username and password:
- Open a Web browser and go to https://accounts.google.com
- Enter your NDSU email address (typically firstname.lastname@example.org) and current password
- Click on the arrow next to your email address in the top right corner, and then click Account
- In the left menu, click Security
- Click Change your password and follow the instructions to finish
If you forget your username or password, call the NDSU IT Help Desk at 231-8685 (option 1) or bring your student ID card to the Help Desk in Quentin Burdick Building 150.