ITS Hardware Standards
ITS is recommending the purchase of Dell Optiplex (desktop) and Dell Latitude (laptop) computers. ITS is making this recommendation because the hardware contained within these systems will stay consistent for at least 18 months, thus making them enterprise-level hardware.
The benefits gained from the standardization of hardware:
- A lower purchase price for standard computers has been negotiated.
- The setup of the new computer can be streamlined through a process called imaging. The drivers for the standard models are placed within the image to allow for easier installation. Imaging allows for the base Windows installation, antivirus, and all updates to be installed with 30 minutes rather than many hours.
- Hardware replacement for out-of-warranty machines is made easier due to an increased parts supply of identical machines.
- Troubleshooting of hardware is easier because the technicians are familiar with the standard hardware.
Due to limited resources and budgets, Desktop Support does not support all computer based hardware. Items similar to Netbooks, iPad's, Kindles, tablet PC's and smart phones are not supported by the Desktop Support group. You may find some general asistance by visiting the IT Help Desk. More information on Desktop Support can be found here.
Upgrading the standard system by adding more RAM, bigger hard drive, or a different monitor does not have any effect on the standards and, if necessary, is recommended by ITS.
End of Life - Hardware
ITS does not support desktop hardware older than six years and laptop hardware older than five. We recommend that replacement hardware be inplace before your current hardware becomes 'End of Life'. The following list provides a general idea of what the final support date for common ITS supported systems.
- Optiplex 980 - June 30, 2016
- Optiplex 780 - June 30, 2016
- Optiplex 960 - June 30, 2015
- Optiplex 760 - June 30, 2015
- Optiplex 755 - June 30, 2014
- Optiplex 745 - June 30, 2013
- Optiplex GX620 - June 30, 2012
- Latitude E5520 - June 30, 2016
- Latitude E6520 - June 30, 2016
- Latitude E6420 - June 30, 2016
- Latitude E6510 - June 30, 2015
- Latitude E6410 - June 30, 2015
- Latitude E6400 - June 30, 2014
- All D series - June 30, 2013
**For non-standard hardware, ITS does not support non-standard hardware. Please check with your vendor for support.
End of Life - Software
ITS will support all standard software, in the same manner, through the same length of time relating to the hardware support.
Desktop Support offers Operating System reinstallation for supported computers, up to 3 months prior to end of hardware support. At this point, if the system was previously supported, we offer a non-supported image with the basic software (Office, antivirus etc.) but without support tools.
For non-standard computers, Desktop Support offers full standard software support and operating systeem reinstallation for 5 years for desktops and 4 years for laptops. The ship date will be used for determining actual age.
|Pre-negotiated purchase price||Yes||Yes||No||No|
|In warranty PC hardware replacement by ITS|
|Out of warranty PC hardware replacement by ITS|
|Mac warranty support||Book Store||Book Store||Book Store||Book Store|
|Hardware support||6 years||5 years||None||None|
|Software support||6 years||5 years||5 years||4 years|