This document describes the standardized computer naming convention for ITS-supported computers. It will be referenced by both phone support and desktop support technicians.
Standardized naming is a benefit for
- Locating a computer in event of a virus infection.
- Identifying what campus support group is responsible for the computer.
- Consistent remote management naming, confidence in remote computer's name.
Computers supported by ITS will be named as follows:
- SU for all computers supported by Desktop Support, that are in he Doamin.
- BBB is the building code number where the computer is located. Unless the building code is three digits, it will start with zero (For a list of building codes, click here.)
- RRRR is the room number where the computer is located. If there are no additional room letters, it will start with a zero.
- IIIII is the last 5 umbers on the computer's NDSU inventory number (printed on the green "Property of NDSU" tag) or the Dell service tag number if the computer is not on inventory.
Non-supported computers should NOT be named in this scheme.