The NDSU Test Scoring System
The Optical Mark Reader (OMR) System at NDSU is operated by Information Technology Services at the main campus ITS Help Desk. This system consists of an (OMR) scanner, software enabling the OMR to write scanned data to a file, and custom-written programs which read the raw data files from the scanner and score them.
OMR scans are accepted at the Help Desk in IACC 150 during regular Help Desk Hours and will be processed as time permits. Users are notified by email when their OMR job is complete.
The OMR system provides four main services:
- Computerized scoring of objective tests (multiple choice and/or true-false questions) for classes of any size -- test scores can be easily imported into the Blackboard Grade Center
- A survey program which provides simple counts, percentages, and means for each item
- A Student Rating of Instruction (SROI) option
- An easy, handy way to read data from scannable sheets into a text file which can be imported into any spreadsheet application
The OMR scanner reads marks made by a #2 pencil (pen marks are not recognized) on special Scantron answer sheets. 5-Answer and 10-Answer sheets are available at the NDSU Bookstore. If you require students to buy the sheets, make sure you tell them which type of sheet they need to get. The two types of answer sheets are NOT interchangeable. Contact the ITS Help Desk at 231-8685 if you have questions.
- Allows a maximum of 200 questions
- Usually in blue or brown ink
- Can allow either one correct answer only, or a combination of correct answers
- 32 unique combinations of the five responses: A, B, C, D, E, AB, AC, and so on through ABCDE are available
- Can stipulate that only specific combinations are the "correct" responses for a question, or that elements comprising the combinations are also valid
- See Test Scoring Options for details
- Allows a maximum of 120 questions
- Typically in green ink
- Allows only one "correct" answer since there are 1024 unique combination answers possible -- an unmanageably large number
- The NDSU Bookstore may need to special order these forms which may take several weeks -- be sure to check availability before planning to use the 10-choice form