Reading Data into a File for Download
OMR sheets represent an easy way to collect data and convert it into an electronic format for research purposes. The READ program associated with the OMR scanner provides a convenient interface for this purpose.
To read your sheets into a text file:
Purchase Scantron Answer Sheets (either 5-Answer or 10-Answer) from the NDSU Bookstore. Use a soft lead pencil (#2) to mark the sheets.
Enter this information on a BLANK answer sheet:
- The NAME grid: (begin in the first grid square on the left in the top-left corner of Side 1)
- Write the word READ -- fill in the corresponding bubbles below each letter
- Write any name or code you wish used as part of the output file name in the last fifteen columns
- The last word in these fifteen columns will be combined with the claim number you receive when you turn in your sheets to form the output file name
- If these columns are left BLANK, the word READ is used as the prefix in the output file name
Place this sheet at the top of the stack of data sheets. Bring the completed sheets to the ITS Help Desk in 150 IACC. The Help Desk consultant will ask for your NAME, DEPT, PHONE, the TYPE of sheets to be scanned, and HOW you would like your scanned OMR sheets returned. You will receive an Incident Number which will be your claim number. You will receive an email message when your OMR READ job is complete.
Your OMR sheets are read into a tab-delimited file and stored. If you would like this data file sent to you via email, send email to email@example.com . Include the claim number associated with the READ run.