NDSU Wireless Network FAQs
How do I connect to wireless for the first time?
Set up a computer to connect by installing a security certificate.* An NDSU electronic ID and password are needed to install the certificate. The certificate and installation instructions can be obtained at: http://wireless.ndsu.edu.
After installing your security certificate, you can connect to the wireless network called Eduroam.
*If you are already connecting to NDSU's secure wireless network using WPA2 security (e.g., SecureW2), there is no reason to install a secure certificate unless you are having connection difficulties. If you do install the security certificate, be sure to uninstall WPA2/SecureW2 first.
What do I do if my device continues to connect to NDSU Instructions after I've completed the setup for eduroam?
Problem: Your laptop automatically connects to the NDSU Instructions wireless network even after you have installed the digital security certificate and set up your device to connect to eduroam. This issue can disrupt your connectivity and prevent you from accessing the Internet.
Solution: To fix this issue, change settings in your computer so it “forgets” the NDSU Instructions network. Instructions are below.
- Click the Apple icon in the upper-left, and then click System Preferences
- Under Internet & Wireless, click Network
- Click Advanced (make sure Wi-Fi is selected in the list on the left)
- Under Preferred Networks, click NDSU Instructions
- Click the "–" to remove NDSU Instructions
- Click OK, click Apply, and then quit System Preferences to finish
- Right click on the wireless icon in the system tray in the lower right corner
- Select Open Network and Sharing Center
- Click Manage wireless networks on the left side of the window
- Click NDSU Instructions, and then click Remove in the top menu bar to finish
- Open Settings from the sidebar
- Select Wireless Networks (may or may not be connected to a network)
- Press and hold or right click the NDSU Instructions network
- Click Forget this network to finish
Where can I access the wireless network?
Access is available at almost all public locations across campus and in student rooms, lounges and study areas in the residence halls.
Connect to the secure wireless network identified as Eduroam (or NDSU Instructions if you need connection information). If you connect to an unsecured network, you could be at risk for having information intercepted.
Who can use the wireless network?
In accordance with the NDSU Computer Use Policy and the North Dakota University System Computer Use Policy, secure network access is granted only to NDSU faculty, staff, students, and authorized guests. All users are subject to the NDSU and N.D. University System policies.
NDSU employees can provide guests with access to wireless through the NDSU Limited wireless network. To generate a guest password, go to: https://apps.ndsu.edu/ndsulimited.
Can I use any of the wireless networks that appear when I'm on campus?
The wireless networks called Eduroam, NDSU Secure, NDSU Limited, and NDSU Instructions are the only official networks provided by NDSU. Other access points are unauthorized and violate NDSU and N.D. University System policy. For security reasons, only authorized wireless networks should be used.